Lemur Daemon with Ipad AND Iphone

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
beatpete
Regular
Lemur Daemon with Ipad AND Iphone

Post by beatpete » 07 May 2015 19:48

I'm using Lemur Daemon (5.22) with an Ipad AND an Iphone via Ipmidi LoopBe30 Internal Midi and for some reason, the "to" targets on the Iphone (5s latest ios) don't send to the correct port .I have Lemur on the Ipad sending to 4 ports using Internal Midi ports 11-18 and the Iphone sending to 2 ports using Internal Midi 19-22. The Iphone port 0 sends ("to") to Internal Midi 19 and port 1 sends ("to") to Internal Midi 21 but when Lemur is loaded they actually send on Internal Midi 11 and Internal Midi 13 (which are used for the first 2 ports of the Ipad). If I then go and re enter 19 and 21 everything works properly, just not when I initially load my template. Any ideas why this is happening?
Last edited by beatpete on 22 May 2015 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

beatpete
Regular

Re: Lemur Daemon with Ipad AND Iphone

Post by beatpete » 22 May 2015 17:54

an update: this also happens if I load Lemur in the iphone 1st, then Lemur in the Ipad doesn't work unless I re-enter the "to" targets. It seems to only affect the "to" targets in either scenario, very frustrating...

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 24 May 2015 10:36

I didn't quite understand the problem, but just as information, you can address one daemon port (on the computer) with one device (iPhone, iPad) only. If you want to use two or more devices in one template, make use of the 8 different MIDI ports available (on Windows, you'll have to create more virtual ports). For example MIDI0 for iPhone, MIDI1 for iPad, MIDI2 for Android tablet, etc. while each MIDI port (Lemur) corresponds to a unique daemon port (computer).

It can be a bit difficult to formulate, I must admit. But it's simple. Just as you cannot plug two MIDI cables into one physical MIDI port, the same can happen with virtual ports. That's why Lemur has 8 MIDI ports, unlike other controller apps.

In other words: it is important to have several virtual MIDI ports on the computer. Then many devices can address different computer MIDI ports while each device uses its MIDI0 port. The device itself needs only one port, it's the computer that needs more. It's just that it often is useful to use more ports on the device as well, to be more flexible, to have minimal setup time with different configurations.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 31 May 2015 16:40

I guess I wasn't clear.
On the Ipad I'm using ports 0-3 (4 ports) and on the Iphone I'm using ports 4 &5 for a total of 6 ports in Lemur Daemon. The problem is, only the first device connects correctly, whether it be the Ipad or Iphone, the second device doesn't work properly. Everything looks fine in Lemur Daemon (see screenshot) but I have to re-enter the port destinations for the second device to work properly, once I do that, everything is fine.
Attachments
Lemor Daemon (Large).jpg
Lemor Daemon (Large).jpg (169.14KiB)Viewed 2730 times

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 31 May 2015 17:31

did you change the port numbers on the objects themselves in the lemur editor (that are being sent to ports other than port '0')?

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 05 Jun 2015 07:58

As I said, everything works when I re enter the same output port. It just doesn't work (with exactly the same configuration) on Lemur start up.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 08 Jun 2015 02:24

Daemon init can vary depending on where the setup is saved ie on iPad or in daemon.
I would try deleting all setup from iPads and phone then setting them up from daemon.
Then compare that with deleting them from daemon and setting them up on I devices.
Hopefully one way will perform consistently, will try to check myself as well
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 08 Jun 2015 16:51

Macciza wrote:Daemon init can vary depending on where the setup is saved ie on iPad or in daemon.
is that so? Never occurred to me. And I don't understand the problem either. My guess is rather that it has to do with the network itself, not with Lemur. I would check the IP addresses of all devices involved, maybe there is something wrong (or not perfect) there.

Just to say, my idevices always connect the right way, with complicated setups involving several ports. And from past experience it was always the network/router/IP settings that caused problems, never Lemur or Lemur daemon.

But that's just my guess.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 13 Jun 2015 00:23

It's very strange, because the Ipad (with 4 ports) always connects perfectly and the Iphone outputs connect fine (ports MID 4 and 5) but I always need to re assign the inputs (to the same targets) and then everything is fine.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 13 Jun 2015 02:07

Did you check your setup procedure, where have you saved the setups? Ipad or computer?
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]