Lemur To Lemur, 2 iOS devices, NO COMPUTER

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
ForestCat
Regular
Lemur To Lemur, 2 iOS devices, NO COMPUTER

Post by ForestCat » 03 Apr 2015 01:48

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible for 2 instances of Lemur, running on separate iOS devices connected to the same WiFi network to communicate with each other WITHOUT the use of a Mac/PC or an app like MIDI Bridge? I want to keep this simple, I have it working w/ MIDI Bridge, but I'd like to do it using iOS's native MIDI capability if possible, for lower latency/better stability. Can it be done?

Thanks.

Macciza
Regular

Re: Lemur To Lemur, 2 iOS devices, NO COMPUTER

Post by Macciza » 03 Apr 2015 12:31

Absolutely...
If both devices are on the same network it should be quite straight forward ...
When you set up your MIDI target the other device should show up as options - select as needed..

OSC is simply a matter of setting the other devices IP and using port 8000 ....

Cheers
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

ForestCat
Regular

Post by ForestCat » 02 Aug 2015 15:05

I know this thread is a little old, but this board will not notify me of relies to my posts, not matter how matter what I try...

Consider this simple scenario: iPad, a template with a single fader defined to send CC7 (volume) on Ch1, via iRigMIDI, etc, definined as MIDI Target1, Out. The same fader has it's OSC targets set to NONE, so it will not send any OSC in any case. Now, another device (doesn't matter what it is, IPad, iPhone, Android, PC via rtpMIDI, etc) sends our first iPad an OSC message /Fader/x via WiFi. The fader on the iPad moves. Why doesn't it send the defined MIDI cc7??? My reason to have the two iDevices communicate is to have one act as a "remote control" for the other.

Thanks, I'll try to keep checking this thread

freepuppies

Post by freepuppies » 04 Aug 2015 04:16

I replied to this in the Facebook group, but I'll also do so here for clarity and confirmation.

I think you can do this by using scripts and different MIDI Targets. Attached is an example file.

Fader 1 on iDevice A sends out CC to MIDI Target 1, which should be set to iDevice B, via ctlout script.
Fader 2 on iDevice B executes a script when receiving MIDI Target 1 setting Fader2.x to Fader1.x.
Fader 2 on X executes a script which sends CC to MIDI Target 0, which should be the target device.

When the first script is executed, the second script is also executed, so Fader 2 follows Fader 1.

Let me know if this isn't clear or doesn't help!
Attachments
FaderControlsSends.jzml
Example of a Fader that sends to another Fader on another device.
(6.08KiB)Downloaded 94 times

ForestCat
Regular

Post by ForestCat » 06 Aug 2015 14:55

I did see it on FB. Thanks, man I appreciate it. I'm hacking together something, but like I said over there, it unfortunately involves adding a script to every control. Was hoping there was another way...