nuendo/cubase question

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
digitalson
Regular
nuendo/cubase question

Post by digitalson » 29 Mar 2015 19:39

in the generic remote how many commands can i put in there? i put to many and i lost all the mappings,so i created multiple remotes......anyone?

Phil999
Regular

Re: nuendo/cubase question

Post by Phil999 » 30 Mar 2015 15:37

you can create as many commands as you wish.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 31 Mar 2015 17:54

I did prob over 100 commands and it reset and the saved xml's would not load....there must be a max num of commands in a generic remote....so I just added multiple remotes...anyone have this prob?

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 01 Apr 2015 04:06

not really. I think some of my Generic Remotes/Lemur templates have about 150-200 entries/commands.

One thing is important: you have to give every entry a specific name. Otherwise there will be problems. You have to spend some time to create a Generic Remote xml file. :) But you have to do this only once. Later you can import the xml easily.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 02 Apr 2015 18:55

That's what I did...and when i imported the xml's file ...it was all messed up,the names I put were all gone and the commands were like -1 ,I may have put to many,I think the max on the bottom side is 127 ,so I just added more gen remotes,,,I'm up to 5 now,this is an awsome nuendo/cubase lemur file,took me 4 months to do,all editeding ,mixer,nav,pref,s,sel ch for automation,it is a dream to work with,absolutely love to work with it,,,I'll send pics

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2YF900 ... cslist_api

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 03 Apr 2015 21:28

digitalson wrote:That's what I did...and when i imported the xml's file ...it was all messed up,the names I put were all gone and the commands were like -1
hmm, I think I've encountered this as well ... not sure what has caused it ... but it's long gone since years, so I don't remember anymore. One thing I can say, it was user error, not the software.

There are certain rules for creating the xml. They may not reveal anything new to you, but just to be sure:

1. after you add a new entry (with a unique name) or several new entries, hit "apply"
2. export the new xml, preferably with a new version number, or overwrite the old xml
3. do not move the folder containing your xml's, Cubendo relies on those files
4. in case of a problem, open the xml with a text editor and check if all entries are correctly written to file
5. also, check if you have permission to write to the location where you store your xml files

I just looked up my biggest Generic Remote xml, it has 572 entries!

I'd recommend to check out your xml's and see if there is an error somewhere. If that doesn't help, you may want to consult technical support at Steinberg, there might be something wrong with your Nuendo/Cubase installation. But I suspect there is something wrong with your procedure. On the other hand, if this Lemur template is the only one you use, it's not a big disadvantage to have 5 Generic Remotes instead of only one, it doesn't matter. But Lemur/Cubase is such a good combination (quite unique I think, no other controller-DAW combination gives you that amount of control and feedback), it is quite possible that you will add a couple more Generic Remotes to your setup, and then it can become rather complicated with a dozen or dozens of them.

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 05 Apr 2015 18:37

I know if u delete something on the bottom section it screws everything up....I have saved the xml's as a copy to a diff folder incase I need to reimport them,,,and a few times some commands get lost...also try to close and reopen nuendo when u finish one...before a error crashes the program ,,that happens every time I close nuendo now...no big deal,but I just have to restart the program when opening a new song...I can try to make 1 gen remote,but it would take hours...as u can see from the pics there are humdrends of commands

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 06 Apr 2015 19:15

hey i tried what u said ,and instead of reinporting what i did was copy the entrys using notepad and copyed from each xml file and it worked...i had to reenter some commands but the trick is to close nuendo after its in there and open it up with out crashing.....now the lemur responds much faster and does not crash as much when closing maybe 1/4 of the time than before.....good suggestion!!!!.i was not going to re input all those in again,so they all sit in 1 gen remote....and i have about 30 more commands and my template is finished finally!!!! did u see the screen shots?...i have been using it for a week now and it has been wonderfull using them now i am familiar with where everything is...i cant wait to track with it,i have some great tracking macros setup up....if u are interested i can send u the lemur file and xml as well as the macros.....thanks ....joey

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 06 Apr 2015 19:53

glad you have some success. Still I wouldn't say that it works as it should. If Nuendo crashes because of remotes, you definitely should consult technical support. I mean, if you pay about 2500 $ for a software you are entitled to get first class support. A DAW should never crash. Only then it is well configured.

Yes I've seen the screen shots. It's nice to have all these commands on the iPad, I agree. When I started with Lemur, a controller for Cubase was the first thing I did. But Lemur is not the only tablet DAW controller, I also like to use 'Cubase IC Pro" (for tracking) and 'V-Control' (for mixing). These apps didn't exist in 2012, so Lemur was the only solution. Today I use Lemur mostly for plugins.

But thank you for your offer, that's very generous. I'm sure there are many people who would profit from your work, you may consider posting your template/xml here in the forum, or in the Lemur user library. That's what I did. And that's what most Lemur users do.

digitalson
Regular

Post by digitalson » 07 Apr 2015 17:00

there are some things i learned...like u said there cannot be any command with the same name or any dup cc nums
.they dont show up when opening the program....but they all work