Transmitting MIDI messages (in Hex) using Lemur Object

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Crazytune
Transmitting MIDI messages (in Hex) using Lemur Object

Post by Crazytune » 23 Mar 2015 04:52

Can somebody explain to me how to transmit a MIDI message (in Hex format) to a hardware synth using a Lemur object (such as a slider or push button). More specifically, what I am trying to do is make a custom Lemur template that will be able to select and control the type of effects on my Roland XV-5080. Roland makes a patch librarian that can already do the things that I want to do by sending Hexadecimal MIDI message strings such as "F0 41 10 00 10 12 1F 00 02 00 04 5B F7" (see picture below) and all I want to do is implement this functionality on my own custom Lemur template.

Once I select and drop a push button onto the workspace, what do I do?

In the MIDI mapping window, do I use Note On, Control Change, System Exclusive?

How do I format Hexadecimal data to be acceptable in the MIDI mapping data field?

Do I use brackets and commas to separate data (e.g. {F0,41,10...})?

Is there more to this?

I can't find any good examples of what I want to do in the Lemur manual, You Tube or this forum.

Please help with examples!
Attachments
XV5080 Editor.jpg
XV5080 Editor Screenshot
XV5080 Editor.jpg (83.06KiB)Viewed 2446 times

Macciza
Regular

Re: Transmitting MIDI messages (in Hex) using Lemur Object

Post by Macciza » 23 Mar 2015 05:19

First you need to learn more about MIDI itself, sorry . .
Those messages are obviously sysex due to the f0/f7 - header/footer ...
Formatting is explained in both answers of mine in your other post..
try a search of the forum on 'sysex' - look through some of the 100's of results ...
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 23 Mar 2015 10:58

assuming you have your Lemur port correctly configured and are using MIDI 0, what happens when you run the following script and push the button?
Attachments
sysex.jzml
button to send hardcoded sysex
(1.16KiB)Downloaded 110 times

Crazytune

Post by Crazytune » 23 Mar 2015 14:38

Hi oldergearguy. I opened up your file and took a look at the data field of the MIDI Mapping page for the button you made and it looks like you entered a series of non-hexadecimal numbers seperated by commas, but didn't enclose them in brackets (e.g. {65, 16, 0, 18, 31, 0, 2, 0, 4, 91}). Someone else told me these brackets are necessary, but is that only the case for hexadecimal numbers? When I use my own custom button, anything that I put in the data field (with or without brackets) shows up as red text and it seems like the Lemur Editor is not going to accept my entry because if I do something else (like place another button) and come back, all of the information I entered is gone and the data field is blank. In other words, the text that I enter doesn't turn blue like it does in your file. I'm going to have to figure out why yours is different, but this is a great start for me. Thanks a million for making this simple file!

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 23 Mar 2015 14:44

Crazytune wrote:Hi oldergearguy. I opened up your file and took a look at the data field of the MIDI Mapping page for the button you made and it looks like you entered a series of non-hexadecimal numbers seperated by commas, but didn't enclose them in brackets (e.g. {65, 16, 0, 18, 31, 0, 2, 0, 4, 91}). Someone else told me these brackets are necessary, but is that only the case for hexadecimal numbers? When I use my own custom button, anything that I put in the data field (with or without brackets) shows up as red text and it seems like the Lemur Editor is not going to accept my entry because if I do something else (like place another button) and come back, all of the information I entered is gone and the data field is blank. In other words, the text that I enter doesn't turn blue like it does in your file. I'm going to have to figure out why yours is different, but this is a great start for me. Thanks a million for making this simple file!
I originally entered them in as hex (ox7A, etc) and Lemur changed them to decimal for me.

Caveat - I asked what happens if you execute this simple program -- does it actually work? The reason for asking is that I don't have any hardware handy and I normally code all my sysex messages in scripts hanging off the object rather than use the upper left pane of the editor. There are a lot of reasons why coding the sysex directly up in the object like that isn't too useful for non-trivial applications, but as a first test, it can be a quick way to see if something works, especially if you are new to it all.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 24 Mar 2015 02:31

I think it goes something like this...
The basic MIDI Mapping pane expects simple numbers only, not variables, and auto converts hex to decimal, and arraying contents is redundant so it removes them.
However if you use the Custom MIDI message option, via the small MIDI port icon below the Project panel, you have all options available to you, You can use hex, variables and logic etc
sysex2.jzml
(4.08KiB)Downloaded 130 times
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

jmm1

SYSEX strings on iPAD control or button

Post by jmm1 » 29 Aug 2016 02:22

Thanks Macciza for the sysex2.jzml example - that has been a great help!
When it loads onto the iPAD though, and if I try to EDIT that control - it is not possible to see the ACTUAL SYSEX string/numbers.

So is it not possible to insert/edit MIDI syses numbers into the iPad lemur editor. Looks like you can only add them to the Lemur editor on the desktop

---------------------------------------------------
I think it goes something like this...
The basic MIDI Mapping pane expects simple numbers only, not variables, and auto converts hex to decimal, and arraying contents is redundant so it removes them.
However if you use the Custom MIDI message option, via the small MIDI port icon below the Project panel, you have all options available to you, You can use hex, variables and logic etc
sysex2.jzml
====================================