Need some help with Sequencers and containers.

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
TadaTadam
Need some help with Sequencers and containers.

Post by TadaTadam » 06 Feb 2015 18:04

Hey,

I'm pretty new to Lemur so I'm still trying to figure out how everything works but I got some questions to complete my project.

I'm trying to build a Traktor Remix deck sequencer (w/o a DAW) to get the maximum out of the remix decks.
1 Traktor remix deck got 4 channels of which each contains 16 samples (1 of the 16 samples can be played at once).
Unlike the MF Twister which can sequence 4 samples at a time (4 channels) I want to be able to sequence all 64 samples.
For example if sample1 in the first channel of the remix deck is triggered on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd step I still wanna be able to trigger sample2 of that same channel on step 4.

The lay out will contain 8 containers under each other, each contains 64 tabs (stepswitches), so the user will be able to select 8 samples of his choice on screen.
This doesn't mean the 8 sequencers currently on screen should be the only sequencers running, the others should still work in the background.

Now to solve a few of my problems I got some questions:

Does someone know if it's possible to show a tab (or the content of a tab) in another container so I can show the sequencers I want in any place I want?

or

Is it possible to let 8 stepswitches do exactly the same as each other, no matter which of the 8 you touch? so I can just show/hide the "same" stepswitch on any place I want. (ofcourse only 1 will send MIDI)

And I would like to know if it's possible to switch the "steps" of a stepswitch/StepSlider from 16 to 32 with a button. Even better would be if it divides the 32 steps in 2x 16 while still being able to edit both "16 steps".

Anyone interested in helping me out?
All I need are some simple examples or scripts of how these functions should work (not gonna ask you guys to script 64 sequencers for me ;) )

ndivuyo
Regular

Re: Need some help with Sequencers and containers.

Post by ndivuyo » 07 Feb 2015 19:29

"Does someone know if it's possible to show a tab (or the content of a tab) in another container so I can show the sequencers I want in any place I want?"
--No, not exactly like that, but you could think of maybe another solution that does something like that

"Is it possible to let 8 stepswitches do exactly the same as each other, no matter which of the 8 you touch? so I can just show/hide the "same" stepswitch on any place I want. (ofcourse only 1 will send MIDI)"
--Yes. Just use scripting

"And I would like to know if it's possible to switch the "steps" of a stepswitch/StepSlider from 16 to 32 with a button. Even better would be if it divides the 32 steps in 2x 16 while still being able to edit both "16 steps"."
--yes for sure (for the first part). I don't get the second half. So when you go to 32 steps you want it to become two separate 16 step sequencers??

Here is a quick, rough example. There are different ways to do some of what you are talking about. Also, when you change the size of steps to a smaller size and bigger size again, you will lose your data so you need to add some scripts to save and restore that data. here is an example for that:
https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/525/

Also bear in mind with the amount of sequencing you are doing, the step objects might not send tight sequences sooooo constantly test it and don't be dissappointed if it is not smooth

Hope this helps. good luck

**also, you should probably read the user guide because a lot of your questions are very basic and will be answered in there (and you will learn a lot more)
Attachments
example.jzml
(9.56KiB)Downloaded 105 times

TadaTadam

Post by TadaTadam » 12 Feb 2015 13:00

Thnx for your reply!
Thnx for the file looks like I can use this.

I've been reading the user guide for a couple of weeks now and also doing a lot of tutorials, i'm kinda having a hard time learning this scripting thing, hehe..
But there doesn't seem to be much info about the step objects either and that's kinda why I came to ask this forum..

No I don't actually mean splitting up the 32 steps in 2, I just want step 0 to change into step 16 etc. when the sequencer passes step 15 and then when it's at step 31, I want it to change back to 0-15 etc. just like any stepsequencer which has only 16 buttons but several banks which loop after eachother.

Also i've tested the step object by just putting 64 sequencer in a project, and it all works fine as long as you let them send value changes between 0-1 instead of 0-127 (velocity is done with an stepslider), but thnx for the heads up. (Already saving up money for an "analog" drumsequencer, so it will hopefully only be temporarily)

Thnx again and have a nice day.

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 13 Feb 2015 03:11

Oh I see you mean selecting a range of the sequence instead of looping the whole thing. Yeah, that's something I never figured out. Did you read the User Amendum (separate from the user guide). It has canvas and step object information in there. But yea, that's one reason I do sequencing in m4l, so I can do the selected range, direction variation and many other stuff I can't do (or just figure out maybe) with the step objects.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 13 Feb 2015 10:48

Also i've tested the step object by just putting 64 sequencer in a project,
Interesting! Which StepObjects did you use 64 of?
and it all works fine as long as you let them send value changes between 0-1 instead of 0-127 (velocity is done with an stepslider)
Im not sure I follow what you mean here. Could you please explain a bit more? StepNotes/StepSwitches by default only send an on/off change don't they?

What was the behaviour when things did not work fine with the 0-127 values being sent?

TadaTadam

Post by TadaTadam » 15 Feb 2015 13:54

ChiLam wrote:
Also i've tested the step object by just putting 64 sequencer in a project,
Interesting! Which StepObjects did you use 64 of?
and it all works fine as long as you let them send value changes between 0-1 instead of 0-127 (velocity is done with an stepslider)
Im not sure I follow what you mean here. Could you please explain a bit more? StepNotes/StepSwitches by default only send an on/off change don't they?

What was the behaviour when things did not work fine with the 0-127 values being sent?
I tried all of them, the StepSwitch and notes work a 100% fine as long as set to 0-1, the stepslider however has a change of skipping a beat.
And no they don't just send on/off states, they do behave like switches (cuz your iPad aint velocity sensitive) but they do send 0 = off and 127= on, the bad thing about this is that the value has to run up, MIDI has to add up to reach it value. For example if MIDI needs to send value = 127 to a DAW, it starts by sending value = 1 then =2, =3,=4 etc until it reaches 127 it all happens very quickly so you might not even notice it but your DAW does.

try it for yourself, link a stepswitch to ableton (drumrack), turn the BPM down as slow as you can, and watch the "MIDI Input Meter", you'll notice that when lemur is set to send a message between 0-127 that the meter will go up slowly, till it reaches the max, and then slowly goes back down. Now when you change the outgoing value from 0-1 you'll see that only 1 light of the meter will light up and also goes off very fast after that, which means a much more direct hit.

When only using a few sequencers you shouldn't bother changing all this stuff to 0-1 but when using a lot like im now doing this is a pretty nice thing to make sure your MIDI won't overload.
Hope I explained it well like this..

The stepslider has this change of skipping beats because you can't turn it down to 0-1 (the fader would obviously have no relative value :P) . So that's a bit of a bummer but well I'll only need a few stepsliders, it's mostly stepswitches in the lay-out i'm building.

Oh and the behaviour of the stepswitches when still on 0-127, was as you now might guess MIDI overloads which caused sequencer to stop, randomly mute but mostly skip a beat or not having the pitch at the value you set it..

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 15 Feb 2015 14:36

Wow! Thanks for the great explaination - it is not something I had ever realised before and very important info.

Im not sure if it will help with the random stuttering that I get happening here but I sure will try it! Don't suppose you have any idea why the sequencer might randomly send multiple very short note-on messages sometimes like a stutter? It happens only every so often sometimes after a couple minutes and sometimes not for 20 mins or so -really annoying! Oh, and this happens with just a single stepnote template only so not really framerate related I think!

Thanks man! ;)

f10

Post by f10 » 06 Nov 2017 05:42

Amazing Sequencer to send midi CC, thanks Softcore!

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/468/

!