Warning Sequencers!

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
ChiLam
Warning Sequencers!

Post by ChiLam » 01 Feb 2015 19:41

Just a heads up to anyone who uses Lemur for sequencing.

Do Not Update Lemur to 5.2 !!!

5.0.3 was perfectly stable for sequencing but the latest update broke this and causes glitches. If you update there is no way to roll back to the previous version so it can be quite frustrating if it happens to you. I have now been without any way to use my templates for more than a month :cry:

I have reported this to Support and have been in contact with Nick from Lemur who has confirmed that something is indeed awry since the 5.2 update. A fix is "in the pipeline" but there is no timeframe on when it will happen...I'm hoping sooner than later but who knows.

Well, I though it would be worth knowing to some, I sure wish I had known before making the disasterous move.

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Re: Warning Sequencers!

Post by nick_liine » 02 Feb 2015 09:30

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I can indeed confirm that I've witnessed some dropped notes in a particular case (StepNote, iPad 2, Lemur 5.2, iConnectMIDI4, external clock from Ableton Live 9). However, it still remains unclear whether the issue is in the sequencer objects themselves, or rather in certain combinations of hardware/software/template. We're working on it, sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Nick

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 02 Feb 2015 15:40

No, sorry Nick but we both observed the issues happen under both internal clock and external sync - the clock source is of no relevance to this new behaviour. This particular case invloved using the provided Library DrumSequencer only.

Since it happpens under internal clock it is quite simply nothing to do with the iCM4+ or any othe peice of hardware.

Im pretty shocked to hear you say otherwise since we both observed this together on skype?

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Post by nick_liine » 02 Feb 2015 17:00

Thanks for the feedback. I stand corrected, indeed even the internal clock produced the occasional dropped note in the setup we tested. The exact source of this behaviour remains to be found. We're working on it.

Best,
Nick

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 02 Feb 2015 17:42

I am happy that you have clarified that problems exist running under internal clock but, to be honest, I think the use of the word "occassional" is quite misleading too! ;)

The dropped notes occured rather "often", at least once every three/four cycles. Not to mention some other strange behaviour which sounded like an entirely wrong note message being sent out!

I would really, really, really appreciate having 5.0.3 to work with while you investigate this stuff ? I use Lemur primarily as a sequencer and without these objects working it is debilitating. Currently Lemur does not work as advertised so I feel it is rather crucial that this functionality exist in working order.

Allowing a customer to revert to a known working revision should be a straightforward courtesy and something you should be willing to provide.

Please - I would be most grateful if you could accomodate this request.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 03 Feb 2015 23:50

Hooray!

Today I got sent a version of 5.0.3 from the Liine team and the great news is that the sequenceing appears to be back to its former stability. Thus far under light testing and external sync there has been no glitches or missed notes using any templates. :D

Very happy to recieve this :D

It does seem to confirm that the source of the problem is some change made in the update. Lets hope the guys can track it down.

Thanks Nick, much obliged for the help and sorry for being a nuisance these last weeks! With the sequencers working I am happy to wait for in-app saving, editing and any other functionality as long as it takes. No more hounding you I promise. ;)

Hooray Hooray!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 13 Feb 2015 11:45

I should probably update to say I spoke to soon. :cry:

Sadly the build i'm using still has the same problems with the Stepnote objects.

Even a single StepNote will stutter after a random period of time - sometimes within a couple of mins or less and sometimes not for more than 20 mins but it will occur at some point.

I have been testing various template examples with Nick from Liine and have sent him the recoreded midi from when these problems occur. It shows that many very short notes are sent very quickly - it looks almost like a single wrong note is triggered but is infact many. The team is investigating and will hopefully track down the reason for this.

Fingers crossed!