Newbie midi

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
gioclone
Newbie midi

Post by gioclone » 09 Jan 2015 00:18

Hello Guys,

New to Live, and Lemur. Have spent two weeks with other solutions and have found Lemur powerful.

So to the question.

I have no problem designing the UI for my projects and mapping them to Ableton. Pretty simple.

I am however trying to send midi back to Lemur to allow me to manipulate the UI on Lemur side.

Can anyone share some info?

Example: Send midi note to Lemur, Update location, or text, change Interfaces, button color or Tabs?

So sorry if this sounds so simple to some.

Thanks for your help

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Re: Newbie midi

Post by nick_liine » 09 Jan 2015 10:22

All MIDI/OSC mappings are bidirectional. Make sure that you have both the input and output properly configured for the MIDI Target you're using (probably MIDI Target 0). Then any Lemur object will respond to the same message that it sends out.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 09 Jan 2015 13:26

Also make sure that inside Ableton options, the mid OUTPUT TO your Lemur midi port, is enabled - not just the INPUT.

gioclone

Post by gioclone » 09 Jan 2015 21:30

Thanks Guys!

I know it might sound dumb. What is Midi Target 0-9?

Just for reference, is that interface 0? Midi port 0?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 09 Jan 2015 23:20

Ah! Target is the MIDI Targets as specified in Lemur - Lemur is capable of connecting to up to 8 targets (0 to 7). Well, you can think of "target" as the "Lemurian" name for "midi ports". Your "software" of course does not "know" that they all end up to Lemur - it thinks they are different midi devices.

So, when you design something in Lemur, in most of the cases, where you want ONE software controlled then you use Lemur Target 0 (the first one, numbering starts from 0, not from 1) - then you also configure your software to receive and send MIDI to THAT target. By the way are you using PC or Mac?

gioclone

Post by gioclone » 10 Jan 2015 09:51

THANKS softcore.

So I am using a Surface Pro 3 for live and working on music on Macs.

So much of the tutorials talk about how to do things on mac which I am versed on, it has it all. But size and portability as well as power are an issue while working live.

So this is what I am trying to do:

SP3 to control lights, projector, videos, ABLETON.
My sets are about 5 songs organized in Arrangement View. That way each song, section can be controlled.

I want to do two things with Lemur: 1- Control when to trigger the parts or sections on the Arrangement View, 2- Feed back to the IPAD/LEMUR to tell it where I am during the Arrangement.

My setup is SP3, New 12 point footpedal(USB-MIDI), IPAD, DMX-to-USB.

Hope it doesnt explode on me :D

**** Thanks Softcore and others helping **** with so much to do, and so much information scattered, its has become quite the project. :)

gioclone

Post by gioclone » 10 Jan 2015 09:53

The part thats killing me is how to talk BACK to Lemur. :(

I am getting there and piecing the info.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 10 Jan 2015 10:05

Aaaaah I see! Well, you have just explained thoroughly the issue - and its NOT your fault or lemur's fault.

See, in order for Lemur to "listen" (to talk back to it) your software (this case Ableton) has to provide a meaningful and suitable midi message (feedback).

Case in point:
map a plain ol' fader to a volume fader in Ableton Live - provided you have followed our tips above two things happen:
You move the fader in LEMUR, the fader in Ableton Live moves.
You move the fader in Ableton Live, the fader in Lemur moves.

THIS test, tells you that you have configured all things correctly. BUT, some things in Live, do not provide midi feedback - triggering clips is one of them - meaning, you CAN map "pads" of Lemur to trigger stuff in Live, but you cannot hope that Live will provide feedback to lemur about which clips are playing. It is this intricacy, that creates the need for "Live specific" midi controllers AND "Live Control 2" which is probably, more suitable for what you are after.

https://liine.net/en/products/lemur/pre ... control-2/

;)

gioclone

Post by gioclone » 10 Jan 2015 10:12

Actually, I worked a way around this. :)

All I need to do is add a midi click to the beggining of the section in Arrangement View back to Lemur and I can programatically change settings on lemur as needed.

This is the part that I have been lost on: SEND MIDI NOTE to LEMUR then Have Lemur take an action based on that: Update a text box, change a color on a button etc.

Thats possible right?

gioclone

Post by gioclone » 10 Jan 2015 10:15

Oh YES! I have been building the UI all along and I can map and have been able to add repeat sections, volume controls and all else. LOOOVE LEMUR.

I am just trying to figure out probably what would be so simple to you guys. Example: send note c2 to lamur and have a button go from green to red. or c2 to change Interfaces.

If I could do that, ALL my LEMUR programming would go forward.

Any help? :D