Sequencer Modification

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
ChiLam
Sequencer Modification

Post by ChiLam » 24 Dec 2014 22:41

Seasons greetings and Happy holidays to all! :D

I'm wondering what I need to do to modify the library Stepsequencer template in order to be able to change the number of steps from a higher number, to a smaller number and then back to a higher number without losing the initial pattern + any velocity/pitch data?

Is this possible?

I assume it would involve storing the data held in the larger array and having it update at each change to the sequencers length along with some modification to make it fit with the corresponding number of steps each time.

Unless it is possible to set start and end points within the initial array which can determine from which step to begin playing and which step to end/loop from.

Any advice greatly appreciated! ;)

ndivuyo
Regular

Re: Sequencer Modification

Post by ndivuyo » 25 Dec 2014 15:53

I think you want this:
https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/525/

was implemented in the last update.
Let me know if this not it, good luck

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 25 Dec 2014 17:09

Great stuff, cheers! I'll check it out and see if it does the job :D

Thank you very much!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 25 Dec 2014 22:07

Aaah! Yes, it was exactly what I needed! :D

Thanks again - happy holidays!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 26 Dec 2014 20:38

Hey man!

Once again thanks for the pointer it was exactly what I was looking for...BUT...

After implementing the code from the template into my own template I found that it caused major issues with the sequencers :(

Suddenly my rock solid template started exhibiting little stutters and glitches under light use - unintentional drum flams and sequencer hiccups galore. Such a pity as this was pretty much the final tweak I was looking to do.

I'm wondering if this could be because of too much additional code? Apart from making the necessary Lemur update from 5.03 to 5.2 and adding the new code nothing else has changed.

What I did was just apply the code from the preset template to each of my sequencer pages - 14 of them in all - so that it would work on each StepObject. It took a while since I had around 74 Objects to do this to with each one being updated with the-:
1. The expression: memory : stretch(0,256)
2. Two Scripts, saveValues(), and restore Values()
3. The Select() Script to set the number of steps in each of the "Steps" trigger boxes.

In the end the template only showed up as being 46% full in the editor and it didn't seem like a lot of code to add, however it has definately caused some stability issues.

I'm not very good at this coding stuff so I might have applied the scripts in a very stupid way :oops:

Would you be so kind as to take a look at my template to see if there is anything obvious that is causing problems or could easily be done to make it run more smoothly?

I have had to upload the Template in the "UserLibrary" since I cannot do it here as it is too large! @ 2.07MB I named it ProblemSequencer!

The updated pages are called -: MiniB, S Midi 3, S Midi 4, S Midi5.

Many thanks in advance and don't worry if its a pain for you - I understand you have your own stuff to do! ;)

Best wishes.

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 27 Dec 2014 16:58

Hey,
Yes it's a pretty big project, as in a lot of objects. Though it seems running 46% wouldn't have problems, I have to say I've never reached that percentage personally and it could be too much depending on your ipad and all.

I have a new ipad and I have to say all the functions in the layout run smoothly, but I didn't try sending the sequences to Ableton yet. However, since you have so much going on your framerate definitely will mess with those step MIDI messages being sent to your DAW and from my experience it will cause unstable sequences. That's why when I do in depth projects with many sequencers, I will use the multislider objects and tie them to Max or Reaktor or wherever (is possible) and use the 'light' as the playhead (I find that you can have much more freedom in your sequences like that and a tight stable sequence. ie Multi directions, randomize, playing sectons of the sequence). If that's not an option and you want to use the step objects with MIDI, your going to have to lower the amount of objects, I think...
However, since you said it was stable before implementing the new code, there could be another issue, but I briefly looked at your code and it seemed to be implemented fine (I'm a pretty sloppy guy though). It matched the example for sure. hmmmm

Sorry I wasn't a big help, but I initially did a project with a ton of stepobjects sort of like this, and have some problems getting it smooth, that's why I use multisliders. Hopefully a wiser user might see something else that will help your project work. Good luck!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 27 Dec 2014 18:39

Thanks for taking a look man! ;)

I had another look at it myself and realised that it was unecessary to include the "memory" expression "stretch(0,256) in each and every object and instead just have a single "memory" expression at project level.
This has got me down to 38% in the editor.

Next I did some more testing and found that even my previously stable version was having the same micro-stutter problem!? This makes me think it is more down to something in the update from 5.03 to 5.2 than the new code. Vey weird as it has been running without any issues for weeks until the update!? Grrr..

I have DL'd the update again to see if a fresh install of Lemur might help - maybe the update didn't go so well IDK. I did notice that I had to resest all the Lemur midi ports again afterwards and the names had changed - more investigation needed there possibly.

Later I'm going to try to use some of your "quantize buttons" code since I have found that changing the length of the StepNote's in realtime often leads to hung notes. Strangely it doesnt happen with the shift/rotate buttons no matter how frantically I press them - only the Steps length ones!

Sadly I'm using Cubase and don't have Max or Reaktor otherwise i'd try your suggestions.

Fingers crossed installing Lemur again will do the trick - failing that I'll look to downsize the project.

Big Thank You for the advice and taking the time! Much obliged :)

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 28 Dec 2014 02:51

Ooof! I'm pretty disheartened now :x

After more testing with various templates and reducing the project to a single page with next to no objects/scripts and still these same glitches are happening!!! I can only conclude that it IS indeed something in the latest update, I only wish I could restore the old 5.03 one. This is really annoying and sad since it was running so well for so long.

I thought it might have been the framerate, number of scripts or objects but no joy. None of these has any impact. It definately sounds as though Lemur is not able to sync properly to the external clock anymore as these stutters happen at random times under any circumstance now.

What a bummer. Looks like I will have to rethink the whole setup now and find another solution for stepsequencing.

You mentioned Max - can it be run on a PC with Win XP32?

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 28 Dec 2014 06:07

Hm I think so, I'm not sure though.
If you have a sequencer in your DAW or plugin you can OSC or perhaps MIDI map the multisliders (or whatever multi object you want to use) to the step values there. That way all the sequencing is done in the program on that clock. Max has nice objects for this, or you can build a custom sequencer, that's why it's useful and you have many different ways to find solutions. Look around and maybe you'll find a program/plugin that can bridge that solution for you with cubase.
Have fun!

by the way, for these WIP projects you want help with in the forum, if you want you can upload an attachment of your layout right on here (underneath the post), will be easier for you and everyone!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 28 Dec 2014 14:09

Yep - Max is OK with Windows but its out of my budget at the moment - looks nice though! Decent stepsequencers are pretty thin on the ground for Cubase - ive spent a many a day searching but they are always lacking something crucial! There is one I'm waiting for thats in development now and should be here soon - its a modular sequencing environment where can build your own and runs as a plug like numerology - should solve the issues fingers crossed.

I just can't understand why it was all fine before the update but suddenly went so bad afterward?

I attempted to upload the WIP here but was refused due to it being too large.

Anyway thanks for the help! I'll keep trying to get it working...