Ableton + Lemur - Dynamic Mapping

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
moon matrix 0
Ableton + Lemur - Dynamic Mapping

Post by moon matrix 0 » 18 Nov 2014 14:00

Hi guys,

I'm new to Lemur so please bare with me. I have for example my glue compressor in ableton. I want to be able to create a lemur template for it and use it on every instance in the project. Can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to do this? I can't find anything online about this :(

ndivuyo
Regular

Re: Ableton + Lemur - Dynamic Mapping

Post by ndivuyo » 19 Nov 2014 00:26

Well as for design, there are many many possibilities. Are you planning on MIDI CC mapping this, or...?
"use it on every instance in the project" Can you elaborate on this?

If you are CC mapping, you make a template design you want in the editor. You make every object have a different CC number output (The magic wand is very helpful). You use Lemur Daemon or some other medium to connect to ableton and make that connection in the Ableton Midi settings (remote mode on for the input of the midi channel you send to). Then you can MIDI map things as usual in Ableton. These mappings will not be saved beyond that particular Ableton project (so you will need to remap your layout to the glue compressor every new project you make it for). Definitely read the guide and watch tutorials to accomplish this, basic stuff, unless you already know it.

To have permanent mappings to a glue compressor, there's only one way I know how to do it, but others might have some light on a more complex/different method to have it permanently mapped whenever you add a glue compressor to your set.
The method I know is OSC mapping through a max for live patch.

Hope that helps, please explain more if I missed something, or everything, or you have more questions.
Check out the previous threads too and read the documentation!

moon matrix 0

Post by moon matrix 0 » 19 Nov 2014 03:16

Thank you so much for replying!

I should have been clearer in my first post. I'm trying to achieve what you call "permanent mapping". There is a guy on here that seems to have achieved exactly what I'm looking for (check last post) - https://forum.liine.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4327

I know it's doable because Shove does it. I've also seen some videos of guys doing it.

Basically it's simple. Let's say I have 5 tracks. On each track I have the same channel strip (eq->comp->eq). I want to create a lemur template that can control each one of these three, on each of the 5 tracks without having to create 5 x templates.

Even more simple would be...Let's say I have 5 tracks with a the same softsynth on each. I want to be able to create a template to control the softsynth on the selected track. This means I'm using the same template but it gets assigned to the selected track.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if I'm not being clear...It makes sense in my head but I can't seem to find anyone wanting to do this which really puzzles me because to me it's the holy grail of touch devices...

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 19 Nov 2014 20:40

Ah I see. Yes I knew it was possible too because of shove, but that is something I have no experience doing (other than tweaking python scripts for launch control surfaces). I assume it's done in python scripts in the MIDI Remote Scripts folder of Ableton. Dunno, hopefully someone will post a helpful answer for you! You hopefully can find a python script that does something along the lines you are talking about and then use a text editor to alter it to the same CC and/or note messages you are sending from that particular lemur template. Good luck!

moon matrix 0

Post by moon matrix 0 » 20 Nov 2014 14:51

Actually I found somewhat of a solution. There is this M4L product called xMonsta and it allows you to do exactly what I wanted to do without having to be an expert.

It's still not really user friendly but a LOT more than having to mess around with Python scripts. I was able to make my own templates and assign them to whatever AU/VST I chose. Really sweet.

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 20 Nov 2014 21:25

Oh you mean Pull. Actually when I said Shove I was thinking Pull (their names mix in my head). Yep they got that solution, just have to pay for more than the lemur. (Unless you're talking about something else than the Pull)

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 20 Nov 2014 21:41

Hmm
Would have been good if he had given Mu credit - both for idea and implementation!
More then half the work was already done and available as open source ....
Might have to dig it outband see what can be done with it ...
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 21 Nov 2014 00:09

Ah sorry, don't know which projects use the Midi Remote scripts really. Just mentioned Pull because that's one someone showed me not too long ago, didn't know about Mu's Midi Remote script layouts (only the ones with the M4l OSC).
Obviously I don't know much about it, If you dig anything up please post!

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 21 Nov 2014 00:47

Hi,
Have a look about for stuff on Mu . . .
That's where the majority of this comes from ...
Unfortunately the Mu system suffered from changes to Lemur and Live and is not operational currently
For the OP there is a Glue compressor module in th Mu modules post on this forum
It's meant for use with Mu but may be of some use
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

moon matrix 0

Post by moon matrix 0 » 21 Nov 2014 14:57

Yes I was referring to Pull which I really like. It allows me to integrate my own templates into the interface and I can browse the devices.