Making button that sends note on + specific range cc msg

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
drewspuppet
Making button that sends note on + specific range cc msg

Post by drewspuppet » 03 Oct 2014 03:24

Hello,

This is my first time on the forum.. I just got the Lemur app for a specific purpose for now, anyway.

I wish to make buttons that will send a note on message, as well as a specific cc# and specific cc value.

I was unable to figure out how to do this using just the app itself on the ipad. I have a windows computer, and have not yet taken the steps to set up link with the editor.

1. Is there a way to do this on the ipad app itself using scripting?

2. If not, what is the best method to achieve what I am needing here?

Thank you so much for your time, knowledge and input!

-Andrew

drewspuppet

Re: Making button that sends note on + specific range cc msg

Post by drewspuppet » 03 Oct 2014 14:17

Also... in the manual it showed in properties box of object ability to set range of cc values. I do not seem to have that option in my object properties box. Is there something I am missing?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 03 Oct 2014 21:23

Each and every object of Lemur comes with its own built in variables (x,y, z) in most cases. A button (switch or pad) has the x variable which is 0 when the switch is off (or the pad released), and 1 when the switch is on (pad is pressed).
from there on you can midi map that "x" to either note ons, note offs, CCs or what have you.

Now, here is the part you are missing:
You CAN add as many custom variables in each object as you want. How they behave depends on the relation you give to them with the existing variables.
So, if you add a custom variable (lets name it CC) CC, and you specify it so that:

CC=x

this means whenever the switch is on (or the pad is pressed) BOTH x and CC will be 1 - 0 when off.

So this means, you are now free to map "x" to note ons, and CC to CCs (or any other type of midi message for that matter).

By the way, if I was the writer of the Lemur manual I would have provided a first page with this:

WE STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO USE THE DESKTOP EDITOR UNTILL YOU FIGURE OUT THE BASICS OF LEMUR - WE ACTUALLY FEEL SORRY FOR USERS WHO HAVENT SPENT AT LEAST A MONTH WITH THE DESKTOP EDITOR AND TRY TO MAKE LEMUR TEMPLATES WITH THE IN APP EDITOR

...and with that size!

Dunno if you get my humor and my point!

;)

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 03 Oct 2014 21:25

Oh forgot to post my example of what I said above:
Attachments
pad-noteAndCC.jzml
(2.66KiB)Downloaded 93 times

drewspuppet

Post by drewspuppet » 03 Oct 2014 22:59

Awesome thanks for the response. I will go ahead and setup the desktop editor....

drewspuppet

Post by drewspuppet » 06 Oct 2014 15:09

I got the editor working.. and it is very helpful.

I am having a problem though with the button triggers. I want them to work like a drum pad trigger, but it's not quite working that way with my drum machine samples. It seems to get caught up, like it's not sending just a note on signal with a push. I have sustain set to 1, all others zero. The drum machine won't trigger properly in succession of hitting the same note/sample combination.
It does work as expected with same setup using Midi Designer with the note portion set to their 'toggle' setting. If set to drumpad or momentary setting in Midi Designer, I believe it triggers upon a push of button and also on release of button.

Any ideas of what settings should be used for the note hit portion in LEmur?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 06 Oct 2014 16:30

Not sure what you mean but anyways in Lemur there are two relevant objects

PADS -> momentary buttons - push buttons

SWITCHES -> toggle switches - toggle buttons - on off buttons

Depending on what you are after, you may be needing "Pads" or "Switches"