Shift function with OSC button

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
n0ne
Shift function with OSC button

Post by n0ne » 14 Sep 2014 12:57

Hi,

I'm having trouble creating a button with shift functionallity that responds to OSC as well. The thing is, that the button also gets triggered by the OSC message, is there anyway around this? What I want to do is this:

Create a button to, for example, solo a track in Reaper.
- When shift is off the button just solos the track
- When shift is on the button sends an OSC command first to UNsolo all tracks, and then solos the current track (exclusive solo).
- The button is linked to the address in reaper. So when you solo a track in reaper the button on Lemur gets activated.
- This can be done so far by using a script that runs on expression X, checks the status of the shift button, and then runs either function 1 or 2.

The problem however is this: when you click solo in Reaper, the button also gets triggered. Which I don't want (because the function of the button then runs). However I do need to information from reaper to update the button status on the Lemur.

So basically my question is: is there a way on the Lemur to run a script when the button is pressed that only responds to a click on the Lemur (and not to its assigned OSC address).

My apologies if this is a very simple question, but I couldnt find it in the forums (the other shift topic was about midi).

Thanks!
n0ne

Phil999
Regular

Re: Shift function with OSC button

Post by Phil999 » 14 Sep 2014 16:46

have you tried already existing templates for Reaper? There is one where solo/mute and many other functions are very well implemented. All via OSC.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

n0ne

Post by n0ne » 16 Sep 2014 08:25

Hi,

Yes I tried both Binder and the other template. They're really cool but afaik don't have functionality that I'm describing.

Any ideas?

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 16 Sep 2014 11:27

n0ne wrote: So basically my question is: is there a way on the Lemur to run a script when the button is pressed that only responds to a click on the Lemur (and not to its assigned OSC address).
I think I understand now. You want an uni-directional OSC button. This should be easy, create a script executed on x, with an OSC out message. Make sure the general OSC mapping of this button is blank. Then Reaper will react to Lemur without giving feedback.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

n0ne

Post by n0ne » 16 Sep 2014 15:10

Hi Phillip,

Thanks! I indeed think that would work, but then is there a way to still let the button reflect the state of the solo button in Reaper? So I could for example turn the button on when I receive the corresponding OSC message without actually firing it.

:)

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 16 Sep 2014 17:22

you could create an LEDs object as indicator.

But I admit I use Reaper very rarely, I don't know exactly what you want to do. I know similar situations where I want to send commands without feedback, get feedback without sending anything, use two objects on top of each other, use the z value instead of x, execute scripts only when touched or only when released, etc. One can influence one object with another, for example set Switches.x=0 with another Pads object. I found that with Lemur there is always a solution, even for the most complicated things.

Taking advantage of the more advanced functions in Lemur will surely solve your problem. As a general rule, if you want uni-directional commands, you don't use the normal OSC mapping, you work with scripts and custom OSC commands, and scripts that execute when OSC messages are sent from the DAW.

n0ne

Post by n0ne » 20 Sep 2014 12:42

Ok I'll do that then, thanks for helping me out :)