Emulating a HUI - Can I convert Relative Knobs to Absolute?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
gabeknox
Emulating a HUI - Can I convert Relative Knobs to Absolute?

Post by gabeknox » 07 Aug 2014 02:51

Hello All, long time reader, first time poster.

I'm trying to get a HUI emulation on the Lemur working, so I can make a template to control Pro Tools. This should be possible, because the HUI just spits out regular old MIDI, and it's just a matter of knowing what messages to send out. I'm working off of this doc that someone made after reverse engineering the unit.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=101328

I got the faders working well, but I'm trying to get the endless encoders (the V-Pots) to work in a way that makes sense with the Lemur. The document linked above has this to say about the pots (the data shown here is midi information in hex code):

-----------------

V-Pots send its data using delta values.

Format: b0 4p vv

where p is the V-Pot number and vv is the delta value.
p can be anything from 0 to c. This is just a linear mapping of the
V-Pots from left to right. That means, when p equals c then the 'scroll'-
V-Pot has been operated.

vv denotes the delta value.
If vv>40 then delta=vv-40.
If vv<40 then delta=-vv.
vv never seems to equal 40.

I was able to obtain deltas as high as 2d (by turning the knobs real
fast).

----------------------

Ideally, I'd like to get the V-Pots so that they work in "absolute mode", where one position on the Lemur's knobs always corresponds to a particular pan position (for example), but I must admit that the level of programming needed to make that conversion is far beyond me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should proceed? If a conversion from relative to absolute mode is impossible, how do I go about making an endless encoder with the information posted above?

Softcore
Regular

Re: Emulating a HUI - Can I convert Relative Knobs to Absolu

Post by Softcore » 07 Aug 2014 07:38

Hello there! I understand what you are after.....and that is the "display" of the controlled parameter (be it Pan or anythin else) value in lemur similarly to how a Mackie controller with LED rings would display it.

Using this link https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/342/ you will find my Mackie Control emulation for Sonar (LeMackie) where after a collab with another member of the forum, Kiss 'Lori' Lorand, we had a WORKING solution - this however was not based on a relative-to-absolute solution but rather on a similar notion that the HUI controllers work. The knob's actual position was hidden (black color) and a LED ring (made out of Lemur led objects) was designed. This way, the Vpots would display NO actual position when the template was not connected - BUT when it was, the LED rings would display the current parameter value correctly. Notice the difference in the operational idea here: the LED rings are ONLY a "feedback" and do NOT work however you turn the Vpot if the whole template (controller) is not connected and running to a DAW.

Unfortunately, due to to some changes in the way expressions can be referenced from Lemur version 5 and onwards, this solution doesnt work anymore - i.e. the V pots on my LeMackie are operative BUT the LED rings are not.
However, after the summer vacations, I want to have again a look on this thing and possibly come up with a "canvas" Vpot which will work the way we want.

gabeknox

Post by gabeknox » 07 Aug 2014 17:44

Thanks for the reply.

In my tinkering before I came here to post I actually brought in the endless encoder from your excellent LeMackie and jerry-rigged it to control a pan knob in Pro Tools! After some more tinkering (always with the tinkering), I realized that indeed the solution I might be after was that of trying to get a "'display' of the controlled parameter" LED working, as you suggest, since the V-Pots on the HUI are not absolute (that is having defined min and max values), but rather are based on increment and decrement. (I know you know this, but just trying to be clear for anyone else reading)

Since the idea of "relative endless encoders" is a bit redundant on the Lemur, I thought I would come here and see if any of the clever folks on this board have figured out a way to convert relative to absolute, as I imagined this kind of problem might arise in other scenarios, especially while controlling a DAW.

Having said that, I'll have another look at the LeMackie encoders and see if I can't work something out on the weekend. I look forward to your Canvas Vpot!

studiodaz

Post by studiodaz » 14 Feb 2015 16:59

did anyone find a solution to the V-pots?
Using Cubase on a Windows PC

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 16 Feb 2015 14:16

Actually no, I hadnt had time to look at it....but perhaps I will these days.

So many things to do, so litle time lol