Alias Question

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
ForestCat
Regular
Alias Question

Post by ForestCat » 16 Jun 2014 23:29

When looking at a large example layout with many aliases, how does one identify the "clones" or the parent of any given alias?

Softcore
Regular

Re: Alias Question

Post by Softcore » 17 Jun 2014 09:27

Besides selecting the object and looking at the project window?

misk

Post by misk » 19 Jun 2014 19:42

more importantly, what's the use of an alias? could someone elaborate? I understand them in the context of symlinks in *nix but not on the lemur

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 20 Jun 2014 08:54

Hello! As discussed elsewhere, you can link various objects together in Lemur by using scripts.

In the case however, that you want an exact same "replica" of an object, somwhere in your project, then instead of "linking" two objects with scripting you can create an alias of an object. (right click - create alias)

For example, lets say that I create a DAW "mixer" template and it features 8 level faders and one "master" bus fader. Then, lets suppose that on a different page of my template (or even in a container) I am planning to make a "master bus" control page with various objects where a "master bus fader" is also desired. Instead of creating a 10th fader, you can create an "alias" of your initial 9th master fader, and proceed to move this "alias" fader wherever in your template you want. This "alias" fader will have the exact same dimensions, color, physics, mappings (and all related properties) of its parent fader and there will be no need to use any scripting for the two objects (parent and alias) to have them linked.

misk

Post by misk » 23 Jun 2014 12:15

thanks for that explanation! that makes perfect sense :)