Traktor midi clock to Lemur

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
joebataz
Regular
Traktor midi clock to Lemur

Post by joebataz » 13 Jun 2014 07:03

Hey folks!

Been a while since I've been on the board but I think that's about to change. I am starting a total rewrite of my Lemur app. Just as an FYI I am using Lemur to control VDMX5 and a DMXIS interface for my DJ system. It has been a fabulous tool for the past year but now I want more. In a nutshell I want the BPM of a track playing in Traktor to drive strobe and sequencer patterns in my system. I see all the nifty new objects (StepNote, StepSwitch, StepSlider, Canvas, etc.) and a fair amount of example code but what I'm looking for is a simple MIDI listener example that doesn't use the Lemur Daemon. Suffice it to say I'm using a ton of MIDI/OSC based hardware/software and just can't seem to get the daemon working as I want. Right now I'm using the following hardware: Novation Impulse, LaunchKeyMini, LaunchControl, Launchpad, NI Traktor Kontrol S2, Maschine Mikro2 and a pair of iPads. Also using a bunch of USB/Firewire hardware. I use a hi power 10 port USB hub (which has a port that will actually charge an iPad) and run the whole setup thru a circa 2009 iMac with a Core2Duo at 3.06gHz, OSX 10.8 and about 3 TB of external hard drive. I typically carry about 85,000 songs and close to 1,000 videos. Getting all this stuff to play nice has been a challenge but it does all work.
Soooooo.......
What I need is to get the MIDI clock out of Traktor into Lemur. Yes, I know how to setup the MIDI clock out, I currently use it to sync the Mikro to Traktor Same with Abelton Live Lite, Notion and Logic Pro.
It will be a pleasure talking with some old familiar techno geeks on this board.
Have a GREAT day all!

Joe B

wurlt01
Regular

Re: Traktor midi clock to Lemur

Post by wurlt01 » 13 Jun 2014 10:18

Just go to settings then more settings page in app. there is a switch to set slave to clocks.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 13 Jun 2014 14:34

How are you currently running your comms? Any MIDI at all?
If you are just using OSC it is essentially using the same UDP system as the Daemon to send data...
Would be good to get a few more details - What issues do you particularly have with the Daemon . . .

I would suggest looking into the iConnectMIDI 4+ - which would allow for many connections for your gear and iPad/Lemur . . .
Also if you have a cellular iPad you could perhaps check out the wired connection possibilities with that . . .

But basically as wurlt mentioned - settings page 'Slave Clocks to MIDI' ....
But you then need Traktor to be sending clock on a Midi port that the Lemur can also see. ..
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 14 Jun 2014 00:28

Thanks for the responses!

Hey Macciza!

All my gear (except the iPads) are using USB cables. I have 4 ports on the back of the Mac. One port is a direct connect to the Kontrol S2, the DMXIS is on a second port, the third goes to the powered hub I mentioned and the fourth goes to my video switcher. All other USB devices plug into the hub. My MOTU DSP unit plugs into the firewire port and the secondary video port goes to the video switcher. When I display music videos (or other types of graphics) I send the signal to one of my projectors, otherwise the video goes to a second monitor. Really not sure what I'd need the iConnect +4 for. It's a nice unit but everything works pretty well as I have it wired. I can also use my iPhone to send video to the iMac using AirBeam. The app on the iPhone sends the video to AirBeam on the iMac which is a Syphon server and can be used by any video app that can talk to a Syphon server which VDMX5 does. I have a couple of PanTilt cameras also sending signal but they seems to cause hiccups so I don't use them a lot. I can overlay the live video over anything that I have playing in VDMX5.

Now back to the MIDI issue. I know how to turn on the Slave Mode on the iPad but I can't seem to get a code listener working. Gotta be something simple but it has me scratching my head. I would guess there is a user library template but have looked at a dozen or so but haven't found anything that helps. I guess this is payback for me being away from the forum for so long. %^P

One other comment I'd like to make. I've seen a lot of other forums where I paid significant dollars (or Euros) for a hardware or software package and had to wait sometimes weeks for answers. Not so here with the liine folks. They are courteous and make sure an answer they give out is correct. It might take a day or so or longer but it is ALWAYS a quality answer. Best of all it's FREE. I have yet to run into any of the staff or longtime forum members throwing an attitude in my direction or making "unprofessional" comments. IMNSHO!

Anyway, back to the quest for the MIDI grail. Duck the Friday the 13th bad luck and have a great weekend!

later

Joe B

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 14 Jun 2014 00:37

DUHHhhhh...

When I'm using the iPad I connect to the iMac using the Audio MIDI Setup app. I have Network Session 1 as the network for "needs to be seen by all apps". All the other MIDI connections are done at the applications Preferences settings

Forgot to mention that.

Joe B