How to setup browsing presets in VST's?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Wishplay
How to setup browsing presets in VST's?

Post by Wishplay » 04 Jun 2014 10:12

Hi,

I basically use Lemur as a controller for Live and untill now never bothered (or had the time) to dig any deeper into it's vast possibilites but I have a simple question (or so I think).

I want to be able to sit behind my electronic piano -which is MIDI routed through my audio interface to my DAW and want to use the iPad/Lemur to quickly browse through presets of 3rd party VST's.
I know this can be done with native Live's instruments but I am particulairy interested in browsing through Dimension Pro because these acoustic sounds I most commonly use when jammig with friends.

I realise I have to make a template but when I look at the the MIDI CC entries in Dimension Pro I see no option for presets.
I also looked at some other 3rd party VST's but they also seem to lack such an entry so I'm kinda lost here..

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Regards.

Softcore
Regular

Re: How to setup browsing presets in VST's?

Post by Softcore » 04 Jun 2014 11:20

In order to be able to change presets on a synthesizer, it has to be compatible with "program change" midi messages (or of course, provide a mapping system for changing presets via normal CC messages, which most of them, do NOT).

Most VST synths are indeed compatible with "program change" messages and many hardware synths too. Here's a rough example which can help to increment--decrement presets on a compatible synth or specifically choose a preset via a pop-up dialogue.

How to use: just connect Lemur target 0 to your synth and wish it IS "program change" compatible, a nice indication of compatibility would be to see a preset system cosnisting of banks of 128 presets each, no more

-,+ buttons to decrement increment

tap on "preset" button to open the pop up dialogue to select a preset.... if "autohide" is set to 1, the pop up dialogue will close shortly after a preset is selected.

note: the one second delay in each pad press is deliberate because many synths do not cope well with rapid program change messages being fired at them

technicalities: the messages are going out from Lemur via the "selected" expression which is mapped to midi channel 1, target 0

;)
Attachments
programchange-controls.jzml
(9.88KiB)Downloaded 114 times

Wishplay

Post by Wishplay » 04 Jun 2014 12:03

Thanks so much for your elaborate response!

I'm afraid Dimension Pro is notoriously knows for it's louzy preset browser so my guess is it won't work (no banks to scroll nor any -,+ buttons).
It does however store a history of used presets (as a dropdown menu) next to the name of it's current preset but in the MIDI matrix it is unassignable.

Guess it's out of the question then. Will have a look at your template (thanks!) and look for another VST.

Edit: Got it working with Z3ta2!!! You made my day. Muchos gracias!

Wishplay

Post by Wishplay » 04 Jun 2014 13:24

If i may trouble you with one more question though:

I've managed to setup some synths using your template but I noticed some synths like Rapture, Massive (both standalone) or Zebra (needs host) don't respond to the programchanges.
They all do however have a preset browser. Is there a reason this doesn't work?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Jun 2014 14:06

it all depends on how each manufacturer - developer has thought out of supporting the protocol - if they do support it at all....For example, Dimension Pro MAY not have a browser as you said or -,+ minus buttons but that doesnt necessarily mean it wont support "program change" midi messages - so do give it a try.

I can tpossibly know what goes on with all the VST synths that are out there - for example, for Native Instruments Absynth, you have to "create" a preset list which is by default empty and then select presets from from that list via the "program change" messages. So in any case, look up each VST synth manual to see if they support the protocol, and if so, how.

;)

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Jun 2014 18:15

re: NI Massive, PC stands for "Program Change" ;)
mass.png
mass.png (101.91KiB)Viewed 2521 times

Wishplay

Post by Wishplay » 04 Jun 2014 19:42

Once again thanks for your answers. Really appreciate it!

I know I have some much to learn regarding Lemur and I really have to dig into it but time seems to be such a sparse commodity ;)
However with your help and examples I now have a basic foundation to look further. WIll do!

PS: Found that both Rapture and Dimension Pro use samples loaded from disk and as such don't support program change.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Program-Chang ... 50030.aspx