Saving configuration changes

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
oldgearguy
Regular
Saving configuration changes

Post by oldgearguy » 30 May 2014 10:26

I know Lemur does not have any file I/O support built in. However, I want a user to be able to save configuration information specific to a template. For example, it would be nice if the user could select a MIDI Target, MIDI Channel, (and in my case) a specific Device ID for the gear at the other end of the wire.

I would have thought that if the user went into the Lemur menu and saved the template back to the same name, it would preserve everything that has been changed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, what exactly does Lemur save when you overwrite an existing template on the iPad?
Does it matter if the variables have pre-set values or if the template starts up with them uninitialized and then subsequently sets them?
Are vectors treated differently than singletons?
Are object attributes and expression variables treated different than user defined variables?

thanks for any insights. It would be nice if a user didn't have to worry with editing the template in an editor just to select a different MIDI Target or MIDI channel every time the template started up.

Softcore
Regular

Re: Saving configuration changes

Post by Softcore » 30 May 2014 11:57

Un-initianalized variables - arrays is the way to go.....This way the user can save their configuration together with template saving. ;)

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 30 May 2014 12:42

Softcore wrote:Un-initialized variables - arrays is the way to go.....This way the user can save their configuration together with template saving. ;)
So that has worked for you? I guess my issue is that I typically set an initial value to variables so that when the template starts it has known, good info to use and this seems to not get updated on a template save (even though it changes in memory as the template runs).

It's a small price to pay to make the user set some values once and then save the first time a template starts up. Then start the real processing with known good values after that.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 31 May 2014 09:29

Yup it definitely works for me....the usual case being templates with user-defined presets of settings of various objects....For example saving and recalling presets of 16 parameters reflected on various objects.....the presets are stored in an array....as long as the array is not initialized the user can re-save the template and keep his 16 presets with each template - thus, he can have banks of 16 presets (each saved template serves as a "bank")