Lemur and Behringer X32

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Prokat99
Lemur and Behringer X32

Post by Prokat99 » 24 May 2014 18:25

Hi, does anyone have any experience with using Lemur on an iPad to control an X32 (behringer digital mixer)?

All I am trying to do is craft an OSC message that can control the Mix Bus Send fader 1/2 and 3/4 for each of the 32 channels.
They did add a whole bunch of Midi CC support on the mixer, but for whatever reason, they left these faders out of the deal. OSC seems to be the only route I have left but it is vastly more challenging then MIDI to figure out.

Thanks in advance

Sean

Macciza
Regular

Re: Lemur and Behringer X32

Post by Macciza » 25 May 2014 03:16

Hi
Haven't got one but did a quick net search, maybe x32user.net could help as well . . .
Looking at the X3s OSC docs my guess is /ch/[01..32]/mix/[01..16]/on {OFF,ON} and /ch/[01..32]/mix/[01..16]/level [0.0...1.0 (+10 dB), 161]
Can help with final setup once addressing and destination are worked out ...
Have you got basic OSC comms happening already?
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 26 May 2014 15:30

Hi Macciza,

No, I can't even get basic OSC comms going yet. I'm so frustrated with this. There seems to be little to know guides on how to set this up and every programmer I ask gives me answers I have to spend a week deciphering.

At this point, I have created a project in lemur with one pad. The project is set to the following:

OSC Targets
Lemur IP - 192.168.100.100 :8000
OSC 0 Host: 192.168.100.98 Port:10023 (the IP addresses are confirmed correct as when I use the X32 app on the same iPad, everything works)

I ticked every single option on the "remote" tab to allow all forms of Midi/osc via all physical ports

From there, I gave the pad's x value the following OSC command
/ch/01/mix/fader/0.75

Absolutely nothing is happening. I have spent over two weeks trying to get this darn thing to do anything, which essentially means I have wasted two weeks.

Can you, or anyone give me a simple guide and/or tell me any errors or missing steps in my process.
I really wish Lemur would take an active roll in explaining this stuff to their customers. I guess they assume we are all highly skilled programmers. I am not, and now I'm wondering why I spent $50 on an app I don't know how to use (a good argument for piracy right?).
I'm not opposed to learning how, but my only avenue is bugging the crap out of programmers on various sites. Sorry for the rant, but this has been extremely tiresome and I have read so much about OSC over the past two weeks, yet I still can't make my X32 do a single flipping thing. If you are listening Lemur, "how about a basic guide to OSC and how to use it on the Lemur?????" If one exists and I just haven't found it, please point me in it's direction.

Sean

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 26 May 2014 16:56

Hi
Ok we should be able to get you through this . . ..
The OSC would usually end up as /full/address data i.e. /ch/01/mix/fader 0.75 *Note the space

Lets start with a Fader instead
Setup its OSC Target in the Mapping panel - and check it is right in Lemur setup
Make sure it has the x variable selected in the pulldown
Set the Custom Address box and set the address to /ch/01/mix/fader
This will then send /ch/01/mix/fader x-value

Now it just depends if that is what it is expecting data wise - that 'step' bit in the definition got me...
Also try this - Set the Scale checkbox and set it to 0 to 1024
Finally try creating a variable called 'val' and set it to floor(x*1024) and then map it same as above

I had a look through some forums and noticed some people offering quite different interpretations though
Really just need to find out what the correct formatting is and then it should be simple
And then we will need to work through the request system they are doing
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 26 May 2014 17:18

You've probably already searched and found this, but one never knows:

http://www.behringer.com/assets/X32_OSC ... otocol.pdf

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 26 May 2014 17:28

Okay,
I have created a new fader. I set it to Target OSC 0

I then selected the "x" variable in the "Mapping" box.
I then set the custom address to /ch/01/mix/fader
I then set the scale to 0 to 1024

The next step you mentioned, (create a variable called "val" and set it to floor(x*1024) and map it)
I am lost at that point. I don't know how/where to create another variable.
I see where I can create a project, an expression, an object, a script, and custom midi, but I don't see anywhere to create a variable.
Sorry, I am very new to this.

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 26 May 2014 17:37

For the record, I don't need any feedback from the X32 to lemur.

I have a toggle button that, as long as the X32 doesn't miss the OSC message (not sure if this is possible or not), can tell me the state of the faders (i.e. toggle lit means one set of faders is down, the other is up, and then vice versa).

As long as the X32 can receive/respond to the message, then I'm all good.

Thanks again for your help.

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 26 May 2014 19:05

I just downloaded TouchOSC and was able to get everything running in under 1 minute. WTF Lemur? One thing I noticed was that TouchOSC asked me to set the outgoing port, which I did at 10023. Once that was done, everything worked.

Unfortunately, I need a little bit of scripting to get what I need done, which TouchOSC doesn't support afaik.

Am I mistaken in thinking that the port setting under OSC targets is not the output?? If it is, why would the X32 receive data from TouchOSC and not LEMUR under the same exact IP/PORT?

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 26 May 2014 23:09

Yes Joe - of course I have that doc, thats where I got the info for my answer . . .

Looks like I didn't explain it properly - that scale setting part was meant as a second option if the standard 0-1 didn't work.
The next bit, creating the variable was a second option to check if neither of the first two worked
Sorry about the terminology, a variable is just another name for expression,

The OSC Target setting is the output - You want to set it to your X32 ip/port.
You will also need to select that target as the target for the x val in the OSC mapping
I have made this is both Lemur and TO and have both sending the same data

So just remove the scale bit as it seems it is working with 0 - 1 values if that is what was sent from TO
It may be that the x32 is getting both but messages but if the scale is still selected in Lemur it is sending different values

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 27 May 2014 02:27

I've tried brand new projects with new faders (no scale) on 3 different Ios devices and Lemur continues to do nothing. TO behaves flawlessly. It is most definitely an issue with Lemur.
Do you have any hardware OSC capable devices you can test lemur on?

I haven't found anyone online so far (videos or posts) controlling any hardware with Lemur.

I keep seeing this OSC message out there called "oscout ()"
Is this possibly required to make Lemur send out OSC? If so, where exactly would it go in the OSC packet?

I still can't believe I waited this long to try another OSC app. What a pain.

Thank you again for your help.
Sean