MENU OBJECT problem - works only on 1st tap

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
octobersongs
Re: MENU OBJECT problem - works only on 1st tap

Post by octobersongs » 27 May 2014 18:36

Thanks again oldgearguy.

I'm afraid I just don't have the level of understanding to apply your instruction here to the existing "redu()" script. Was trying to conserve on space, but it might come down to your original observation of just having separate "buttons".

jc

oldgearguy wrote:You might have to be a bit more selective about when/where you reset the selection value. :D

If you have a script that does things based on the menu selection, I'd reset the selection value at the end of that script. That way, you act on the menu choice, do your stuff, then reset the selection value for the next time around. So, after you send out the MIDI info, add the reset of selection right at the end of that script and see what happens.

(don't forget to delete the "On Expression" script too)

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 28 May 2014 10:03

I didn't see any attachments to your messages. Why not post the script in question? It's a straightforward matter to add that extra line to the script at the correct place and you should be done with this particular problem.

It's very hard to give advice out of context. I try to post the most bare-bones solution to make it easy for the OP to adapt it to their needs. Sometimes, more context is needed to post a better solution or to get the app up and running quicker.

octobersongs

Post by octobersongs » 28 May 2014 17:01

oldgearguy wrote:I didn't see any attachments to your messages. Why not post the script in question? It's a straightforward matter to add that extra line to the script at the correct place and you should be done with this particular problem.

It's very hard to give advice out of context. I try to post the most bare-bones solution to make it easy for the OP to adapt it to their needs. Sometimes, more context is needed to post a better solution or to get the app up and running quicker.
oldgearguy,

Here are the links to the screenshots I'd posted before. Let me know if they're not visible.

This is how the adapted script (your script) now reads (in which I'm sure there are errant and unnecessary lines).

Project window showing both Edit and File menus

Mapping window for Edit menu

Lemur Design window - a rough of how it may look and function (Edit window open, File window closed)

And while I'm at it, here's the actual lemur file attached below.

Let me know if I'm missing anything for context.

Thank you,

jc
Attachments
Cubase.jzml.zip
Cubase interface (work in progress)
(11.64KiB)Downloaded 90 times

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 28 May 2014 17:30

I'll load it into the Lemur editor when I get home later today (don't have the editor around at my day job), but just looking at the raw jzml file I see where we have the disconnect. (and I think you did mention it earlier). You are using the custom MIDI messages to send MIDI CC's and other info as a base number+offset from the menu selection.

I typically do everything using scripts and don't use the custom MIDI messages; mainly because I came from a programming background and it's also easier to completely control what you send and when you send it.

So, adding the script bits I posted would indeed behave unexpectedly in your configuration. I'll see if there's a way to cleanly incorporate the idea into your structure.

BTW - no images show up for me, but again, that just may be the filters and firewalls that are between me and the outside world.

octobersongs

Post by octobersongs » 28 May 2014 19:36

I guess the img links were in lieu of uploading the actual file. Redundant now that you have it.

Thanks for looking at this.

jc

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 28 May 2014 19:56

octobersongs wrote:Thank you softcore.

I adapted your "horizontal_menu" so that tapping the menu options would send the appropriate control change (118 - 125) and, even though each option works properly, I'm left with the original problem of not being able to reselect the same option, like if I were to repeatedly "paste" data. Your example functions in the same way my menu object does, having to choose another menu option before I can reselect the original option.

jc
Yes but what I meant to say, is that you can toy around programmatically however you want because now its not a closed "menu object"....

Here...I replaced the switches with pads and now the selection is ALWAYS triggered because it resets to a "null" selection (actually its menu items count so you just have to not map the "no tap" selection midiwise)
Attachments
horizontal_menu-pads.jzml
(9.7KiB)Downloaded 92 times

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 28 May 2014 20:32

attached is your basic app with some minor changes to MenuFile and MenuEdit.

I added a script and set the Target for Selection and for out to None (they were MIDI 1 in your original). Comparing the output of the original and the modified in MIDI-Ox, the outputs are the same in the same order.

If you want to compare and contrast, click on the script name in the editor, set the Execution to Manual, click on out and selection and set their targets back to MIDI 1 and re-run it.

Note that MenuEdit is sending control change messages to 2 different channels and MenuFile is sending both to the same channel. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but I left it as-is.

Tom
Attachments
Cubase_script.zip
(11.75KiB)Downloaded 98 times

octobersongs

Post by octobersongs » 31 May 2014 15:19

oldgearguy wrote:attached is your basic app with some minor changes to MenuFile and MenuEdit.

I added a script and set the Target for Selection and for out to None (they were MIDI 1 in your original). Comparing the output of the original and the modified in MIDI-Ox, the outputs are the same in the same order.

If you want to compare and contrast, click on the script name in the editor, set the Execution to Manual, click on out and selection and set their targets back to MIDI 1 and re-run it.

Note that MenuEdit is sending control change messages to 2 different channels and MenuFile is sending both to the same channel. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but I left it as-is.

Tom

Tom,

This works perfectly. Thank you very much. Applying it to a few other menus. I appreciate the attention.

jc

octobersongs

Post by octobersongs » 31 May 2014 15:25

Softcore wrote:
octobersongs wrote:Thank you softcore.

I adapted your "horizontal_menu" so that tapping the menu options would send the appropriate control change (118 - 125) and, even though each option works properly, I'm left with the original problem of not being able to reselect the same option, like if I were to repeatedly "paste" data. Your example functions in the same way my menu object does, having to choose another menu option before I can reselect the original option.

jc
Yes but what I meant to say, is that you can toy around programmatically however you want because now its not a closed "menu object"....

Here...I replaced the switches with pads and now the selection is ALWAYS triggered because it resets to a "null" selection (actually its menu items count so you just have to not map the "no tap" selection midiwise)

Thanks Softcore. Working your idea into another interface. Thank you for the much needed help.

jc