Assigned control name text

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Blanche7
Assigned control name text

Post by Blanche7 » 27 Apr 2014 16:33

Hey,

Is it possible to receive text - name of the control being changed from Live? Similar to Novation Remote Zero LCD screen.

I know you can get the names with SurfaceLCD & Mackie protocol but I want to create assignable midi knob & fader midi controller and to see the names of the controls.

Softcore
Regular

Re: Assigned control name text

Post by Softcore » 28 Apr 2014 19:28

To make Live transmitt such data besides the Mackie Protocol there are 2 other ways:
MaxForLive or PY scripts. - in other words you need to acess the Live API and then send the data you are looking for to Lemur

Blanche7

Post by Blanche7 » 29 Apr 2014 04:47

Thank you for the reply Softcore,

I have been using some of your templates. They are great. Especially Sonar Mackie one - modified it for my use with Ableton.

If I understand correctly then with Python script (Ableton - MIDI REMOTE SCRIPT) I could create a script for sending the data and on the Lemur template I should create a - a text object to receive the data - is that correct? I'm searching what should be more easier for me to do as I have barely any knowledge with scripting.

Would it be easier with Max4Live to do this? I don't use OSC - I have iConnectMIDI2+ with Ableton

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 30 Apr 2014 12:36

I don't know how it is in Ableton but in Reason you have to encode the Text you want to send as Sysex, then receive that in a Midi In Script and decode it again.

Blanche7

Post by Blanche7 » 01 May 2014 05:42

Thanks for the input.

Guess there is no other choice as to learn Python script :shock:

Maybe someone would be interested to create the script for a few bucks? I would have the layout but i need the script to recieve the names of controls that are in macro or midi assigned.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 01 May 2014 07:32

Hi

Unless you intend doing more programming in Python it is probably better, and easier, to learn a bit more Lemur . . .

Creating the python scripts from scratch is not really needed as you can often just hook into the existing ones in Live

Ive had a bit of look at the Novation SL and Nocturn stuff and have got a few things underway . . .
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Blanche7

Post by Blanche7 » 01 May 2014 07:58

Hi Macciza,

That's great news. Novation SL emulation (with device & parameter names) on Lemur would be awesome.

I can assist you with Novation SL, for instance, with the layout (I barely understand the scripts at the moment), please send me a msg.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 01 May 2014 10:03

Hi
Not sure that I can put a full emulation together, not found huge amounts of info on the SL

Have got Faders,with Track name & values; and Encoders,with names and values . . .
I believe the pots and pad are not used by the script but are meant to be midi mapped . . .
Will post something in a little while once I leash it out a bit more . .

Have also got a Nocturm style interface going that tracks values etc but without Text feedback . . .
Have done Midi Learn objects previously and have also got working draft version of Speed Dial

Will try and pull it all together into something a bit more cohesive ...
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Blanche7

Post by Blanche7 » 01 May 2014 11:14

Faders and encoders with control names is just what I am looking for.

Sounds promising. Cant wait to see your results.

If Novation would sell a model with just the left upper row with encoders and the LCD screen, I would have bought that.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 05 May 2014 14:33

Hi
Tidied the basic bit up a bit into something basic but semi presentable . . .
You will need to set the Project or Containers MiDI Target , the outport, and the sysxIn()s Target . . .
I have not done the extra buttons that do stuff like paging etc or the standard MIDI knobs and pads
Perhaps someone who has an actual SL could help with further development . . .
Oh and select the RemoteSL as a control surface in Live . . .
Cheers
Attachments
^^LeSL_Faders&Encs.jzlib
(86.31KiB)Downloaded 151 times