bug? oscout causing output on load

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
newtfish
bug? oscout causing output on load

Post by newtfish » 21 Mar 2014 01:25

Hi,

Im finding that when I set a knob or any object to "grid" steps (around 11). Then when the template loads it is causing the object to send out an initial value. Whereas when the grid is not selected there is no output. Im wondering why this is?
Last edited by newtfish on 16 Apr 2014 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

newtfish

Re: bug? grid causing output on load

Post by newtfish » 03 Apr 2014 14:07

This is actually happening with any object that has a script in it. The script outputs values onload, for some reason. Anyone know why that is? Is there any way to stop it? Its like each object has default values and just the fact that a script has been added to the object causes output onload...

For instance, if I have this simple script in any object (say a knob), which links two objects together

(On Expression, x)

x = Fader.x;

This outputs values when the template is loaded. Im wondering why????

newtfish

Post by newtfish » 04 Apr 2014 00:36

I have to say this is causing major problems with my set up. The scripts are causing OSC to come out (when it shouldnt be) and causing my volume faders to go up (with the potential to blow my speakers).

Has anyone tried this?

Put a script (as mentioned in the post) in your template and then load the template onto your Ipad. Watch the OSC values come out.

Its really poor and needs fixing IMHO

leehu
Regular

Post by leehu » 04 Apr 2014 10:19

i've certainly noticed alot more OSC output coming out. I've also just posted another output related issue

newtfish

Post by newtfish » 04 Apr 2014 15:28

Yes, I think some of these OSC issues are due to some bugs that have appeared in v5. I think your issue might be fixed soon with the new update, since it wasnt an issue in v4.

Looking at the issue of script OSC being spat out, I can see this has also been happening since v4, so am a bit concerned that even if they do an update to v5 it still wont be fixed. Ive been playing with some workarounds, such as setting the [value="0"] field in a knob to zero, and then putting a "if(x)" in my script before the oscout and it seems to work, but Id really rather not have to create such ugly workarounds to this problem. Ive also noticed that when you set a knob's OSC Target to "none", even though it doesnt send out OSC, it still responds to the OSC it receives.

Its all v strange and seems to cause feedback quite regularly when using OSC back and forth. :/

leehu
Regular

Post by leehu » 04 Apr 2014 17:10

yeah, but i have to rewrite the patch in the meantime anyway - it's not a slight problem, it's completely broken as that's the system I use for my output - there's no way of going back to version 4 from iTunes so I either rewrite or have to wait till an update is provided and we have no way of knowing when that will be...

leehu
Regular

Post by leehu » 04 Apr 2014 17:46

seems like setting anything on Lemur via OSC bounced it back to the sender whether the checkbox is set or not?

newtfish

Post by newtfish » 14 Apr 2014 08:59

Anyone have any idea whats causing this?

Surely its not right to have scripts that output things onload, when you havent set them to do anything onload?

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 14 Apr 2014 10:21

Hi
Have had a bit of a look and will investigate a bit . .
Is this a case of 'changed behaviour' with patches functioning differently?
If you have simple patches that demonstrate your problem then please send them in

Send something to support for them to check out if it is a problem . .

I guess you can set a flag and then in scripts check its state and return if its set otherwise do whatever . .
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

newtfish

Post by newtfish » 14 Apr 2014 11:16

Yep, its super easy to recreate. Simply add any script with oscout being used. Then load the template from the editor. Then in max or some program, check to see the OSC coming out when loaded. The OSC is sending out some default values or something when the template gets loaded.

Not sure what you mean by set a flag? Im a bit new to this.