Auto Crossfade via single toggle midi button, possible?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Prokat99
Auto Crossfade via single toggle midi button, possible?

Post by Prokat99 » 13 Mar 2014 19:38

Hi all,
I am 99% sure that Lemur can do this, but I am fairly green when it comes to scripting so I am not sure.

Is it possible to create a toggle midi button in lemur that, when activated, will fluidly bring one fader down while bringing another up?
(as opposed to instantly turning a fader off or on). Essentially a quick, but automated crossfade.

It might make more sense for me to explain what I am doing.

I am using a digital Mixer (Behringer X32 Rack) that will be setup to have each input (voice, instruments, synths, etc...) routed to two sub-groups. One sub group goes directly to the Mains, the other has effects on it, then also goes to the mains.

Each input will be routing audio to only one sub-group at a time. The point is that I can select which input will go to the effected sub-group at will. This is for a some what complex Solo performance where I will have lots of audio tracks, sequenced synths, my voice and instruments all generating audio at the same time and I will be "cherry-picking" which will be effected. This is all done on the fly.

The problem is using just the mutes on/off, or just turning the faders completely on/off on the X32 will create an audio gap or interruption every time I want to switch an inputs sub-group destination ( I will be doing this at all times throughout a song, including while my voice or synths are actively creating sound). After discussing with folks on the Behringer forum, all have agreed that the best way to avoid the "pops" is to do a quick, but fluid crossfade. Sub group 1 goes up, while sub group 2 goes down and vice versa.

Being that there will be a lot going on, I don't want to deal with adjusting faders on the fly as there will be a lot of room for error as well as issues with accidentally changing the volume of a track.

So..... Is it possible to create a toggle midi button in lemur that, when activated, will fluidly bring one fader down while bringing another up? Essentially a quick, but automated crossfade.

thanks in advance!
PK

Softcore
Regular

Re: Auto Crossfade via single toggle midi button, possible?

Post by Softcore » 13 Mar 2014 21:42

How fast-slow you want the faders moving?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 13 Mar 2014 23:08

no on-frame scripts used (for low memory usage)

Look in project manager for the expression "crosstime". Set to desired duration of crossfading (in seconds)
Attachments
cross-fading.jzml
(7.35KiB)Downloaded 81 times

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 14 Mar 2014 03:39

Dude!!! Thank you very much.
I haven't actually gotten the X32 yet to test it out, but as soon as I do (~2 weeks) I will let you know how it went. Besides, I'll probably have more questions :D

Thanks again!

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 14 Mar 2014 04:00

I just opened the file in Lemur and it seems like there is no way this couldn't work.
Thanks again man, You just made my night.

Cheers!

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 19 May 2014 19:44

Hey Soft core,

Thanks again for helping out on the crossfade. I had a lot of other things going on so I hadn't had a chance to put it in use until today. Everything seems great except I can not for the life of me (been working on it for over an hour) figure out how to turn the button into a toggle.
My goal is to hide the faders behind an object so they can't be touched or seen (screen size limitations) and only the "activator" button will be visible. For that setup, I need the "activator" to indicate which fader is up/down, i.e. fader 1 up/fader 2 down keeps the "activator" button lit up, and then vice versa.

I am so lost when it comes to writing scripts. I tried every thing I could think of (including trying to copy all the info out of the "activator" button into a "switch," trying to figure out how to make a transparent "switch" and finally, trying to deconstruct your work so I could build the same thing with a "switch." At this point, I'm completely out of ideas. I really wish there was a good all encompassing tutorial on how to do this ****, but I can't seem to find one. Just a few videos here and there that don't seem to address my issue.

Anyway, if you have a moment, could you help me out?

Is it even possible to make a "transparent switch"?

Sean

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 19 May 2014 20:44

Ah, see.....the pad is also the "timer" for the action (its release actually) so if you try to replace it with a "switch" it all goes wrong....

BUT...there is a way to make a "pad" seem like a "switch" although its not - by altering its "expression". I hope you wotn get too mad at yourself for not figuring out just the addition of 2 lines in the script you already have...lol...I kinda feel sorry to read your troubles.
Attachments
cross-fading-switchpad.jzml
(7.38KiB)Downloaded 92 times

Prokat99

Post by Prokat99 » 23 May 2014 22:20

Sweet! Thanks man, it's always something small it seems :)

You wouldn't by chance have any experience with or advice on connecting the Lemur App to a Behringer X32 would ya?

I am really scratching my head on OSC and communications between two OSC server/clients.

Thanks
Sean