new clock objects question

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Softcore
Regular
new clock objects question

Post by Softcore » 13 Mar 2014 13:47

If I use a stepslider's "out" expression to "drive" another object's expression....do I "break" the timing tightness? i.e. will the second object's expression be updated in the tight timing that the out clocking provides or will it happen in the old "frame by frame" way?

Also, Im not sure about the "ramp" attribute which is default to 0.0

How are we supposed to use this? Im figuring its a nice way to interpolate between two steps or am I wrong? Im confused by the default 0.0 setting.

oldgearguy
Regular

Re: new clock objects question

Post by oldgearguy » 13 Mar 2014 14:13

based on the doc (haven't played much with it yet) - ramp seems to allow a smooth change between values set on consecutive sliders. So if Slider1 has a cc value of 20 and slider2 has a cc value of 40, instead of the receiving device seeing 20...40, it would see 20..25..30..35..40 if ramp is non-zero. Maybe the closer to 1 the more interpolation that takes place?

That's how I read it anyway. As a side note, most hardware sequencers throw out a cc value per step, so you get smooth modulation if you have a lot of steps or small changes per step. The old Latronic Notron hardware sequencer actually did generate cc values 'inbetween' the notes, so it was decoupled from the steps and provided a smooth modulation experience. They seemed to send out a CC value every couple of MIDI clocks without regard to the actual step.

It would be easy enough to check this behavior on the Lemur - hook up a MIDI monitor like MIDI-Ox, do not filter out realtime/clock messages and record a short segment of a sequence and see where and what values are spit out.