Script editing on Windows

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
leehu
Regular
Script editing on Windows

Post by leehu » 12 Mar 2014 09:48

Hi, thanks for the great update, and thanks for string concatenation! :)

Not sure whether these issues have been raised before, and whether it's just a windows issue, but script editing can be a pain as it doesn't operate the same as other editors and I wondered if this could be looked at:

ctrl-Z and ctrl-Y don't work in the script editor - the buttons at the top do work but the granularity is not very high, e.g. type
aaaaa
bbbbb
cccccc

on 3 lines and then hit the undo button at the top and all 3 lines disappear - hit redo and the first line reappears but not the other 2.

home - this goes to the beginning of the script where common behaviour takes you to the beginning of the line, with ctrl-home going to beginning of file
end - this goes to the end of the script where common behaviour takes you to the end of the line, with ctrl-end going to end of file

I've just confirmed these are still the same in the 5.0.1 editor. These are small things, but make editing on windows a bit more cumbersome that it could be.

thx Lee

wul
Regular

Re: Script editing on Windows

Post by wul » 12 Mar 2014 10:00

Actually I noticed something with the script editor . Pressed back space , this deleted a line and a half
Ctrl z. Etc. has never worked for me in the script editor

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 12 Mar 2014 10:13

I've been experiencing all of the above and more. I wasn't sure if it was a Windows-only thing (it's been a while since I used the Mac in the music room for Lemur editing). Having standard keyboard commands work differently than you expect is a real killer to workflow. I don't know how many times I've had to redo the last line or part of a line in a script because it got deleted.

My solution (which probably is not generally recommended) is that when I have a lot of script edits to do, I bring the .jzml file up in WordPad, do all my edits, save it and then re-load it into Lemur for any touchups.

This is how I discovered that Lemur (4.1.1 at least) parses commented out lines. I was adding comments to the code and happened to use double-quotes in the comment. This completely trashed the template when I tried to load it into Lemur. Anything I created after that point in the file was missing from the template. Apparently, during load, it parsed that commented line, saw quotes and thought the rest of the file was part of a string or something.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 13 Mar 2014 07:26

Confirmed.....since day 1 I bought Lemur (version 3)

Due to the fact that undo-redo is completely unpredictable for the scripts....I have resorted, unfortunately, to NEVER use the undo-redo buttons of the windows editor.

leehu
Regular

Post by leehu » 03 Apr 2014 00:11

any comments from the Liine guys on this? Is it on your radar and is it something you're intending to look at in the future?

thx Lee

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 03 Apr 2014 13:31

Drop a Monitor, edit the value and then change the font size. It allways crashes my editor.

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 03 Apr 2014 14:50

electrofux wrote:Drop a Monitor, edit the value and then change the font size. It allways crashes my editor.
I ran into this with font size, color, and other areas. What I always do is after editing a value, click somewhere else (even another value in the Monitor area) and make sure the blinking cursor shows up. Once the blinking cursor line is back, you can safely select font/color/etc.

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 25 Apr 2014 20:34

All I have to say is pretend you're editing a file on a computer back in 1996, save early, save often, and enumerate versions when you complete features.

Lemur editor has pulled a rage face out of me more than a few times.

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 26 Apr 2014 02:12

Traxus wrote:All I have to say is pretend you're editing a file on a computer back in 1996, save early, save often, and enumerate versions when you complete features.

Lemur editor has pulled a rage face out of me more than a few times.

don't even get me started on the Home and End keys on a Windows platform in the editor...

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Post by nick_liine » 28 Apr 2014 18:24

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. Will look into this.

Kind regards,
Nicolas