Need some help, learning lemur and how to use templates

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Holaholaa
Need some help, learning lemur and how to use templates

Post by Holaholaa » 03 Mar 2014 20:07

Hey there, so I got myself an ipad mini + lemur software the other day. I have got it to work with reaktor and can now controll various ensambles with lemur templates. But I still find myself somewhat confused, and need like a masterclass or something to make use of this software the way its meant to be used.

For example, how do I set up AB breakpoint with absynth?

Is it possible to record the automation from lemur inside fl studio, or is it like alot of reaktor ensambles one have to record the audio. Not that I have gotten AB breakpoint to work properly yet, but is it possible to record the midi data/automation from lemur inside fl studio? I have heard about some software that can be useful for recording midi data, like loopbe1 or something. Im going to check it out soon.

To say the ´least I need some serious tutorails that cover all iof these aspects, do anyone of you know a good complete tutorial that covers all the aspects of lemur/Basic intro/overview of the templates that come with lemur/scipting ect.

Softcore
Regular

Re: Need some help, learning lemur and how to use templates

Post by Softcore » 03 Mar 2014 23:04

Hello again! What you really need as I 've read, is a better comprehension of the whole midi thing - and its functions inside your DAW or with your instruments.

For instance, AB breakpoint that you mentioned is not for controlling parameters, therefore cannot generate automation data - its a "note generator". You "connect" it to your instruments inside your DAW, as you would connect a midi keyboard. Once succesfully, you should be able to see it fire-trigger notes of Absynth.

Furthermore, assuming we DID have another template with faders, knobs, or anything generating CC values, you need to consult your DAW's manual on how to connect "midi controllers" to instruments, then consult Absynth's manaula on how it receives midi CC and maps them to parameters, THEN calso cunsult your DAW manual about automation.
In fact, there's litle in Lemur to answer your questions - automation and midi notes recording is a thing of the DAW - recording whatever outside midi change it is receiving. :)

Holaholaa

Post by Holaholaa » 03 Mar 2014 23:23

Softcore wrote:Hello again! What you really need as I 've read, is a better comprehension of the whole midi thing - and its functions inside your DAW or with your instruments.

For instance, AB breakpoint that you mentioned is not for controlling parameters, therefore cannot generate automation data - its a "note generator". You "connect" it to your instruments inside your DAW, as you would connect a midi keyboard. Once succesfully, you should be able to see it fire-trigger notes of Absynth.

Furthermore, assuming we DID have another template with faders, knobs, or anything generating CC values, you need to consult your DAW's manual on how to connect "midi controllers" to instruments, then consult Absynth's manaula on how it receives midi CC and maps them to parameters, THEN calso cunsult your DAW manual about automation.
In fact, there's litle in Lemur to answer your questions - automation and midi notes recording is a thing of the DAW - recording whatever outside midi change it is receiving. :)

Hey there, thanks for answer! :) Usually I have no problem understanding basic midi ports ect, but when it comes to lemur my knowledge goes out the window hehe. I know its a note generator, like spiral in reaktor for example. Fl studio cant record midi out data for some strange reason. So 3th party programs have to be used in order to capture the midi notes+data, so im a bit concerened that it will be the same for AB breakpoint.

Hmm just checked, my ipad didnt show up as a midi in Absynth settings. I loaded the absynth template in lemur editor, pressed play so it showed up on my ipad. Im confident I have missed something :D probably some port or something

Edit: Is there some manual for AB breakpoint and those other templates? I would love a good tutorial, because im just scratching my head atm when its comes to fully understanding the templates/making my own templates and how to connect it ect.

Also it doesnt show up as a midi in fl studio settings either

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Mar 2014 09:08

Holaholaa wrote: Fl studio cant record midi out data for some strange reason.
I do not have intention to insult your knowledge on Fl Studio....but I really dont think you mean to tell me that a software like FL studio CAN NOT record a simple midi keyboard if its properly connected and configured to it?
EVERY DAW/sequencer which is midi compatible has a way of simply recording the midi input notes - whether they come from a simple midi keyboard or Lemur, is irrelivant.

;)

As for the functionality of some templates, yes its true that some indeed lack documentation - but on how to connect them, it all boils down to the same way. Start off simple, use the template of lemur that features a simple midi keyboard and try to make that work within FL Studio and a random VST synth. Once, you get that achieved, then the procedure will be the same for any other note-generative template.

Holaholaa

Post by Holaholaa » 04 Mar 2014 10:12

Softcore wrote:
Holaholaa wrote: Fl studio cant record midi out data for some strange reason.
I do not have intention to insult your knowledge on Fl Studio....but I really dont think you mean to tell me that a software like FL studio CAN NOT record a simple midi keyboard if its properly connected and configured to it?
EVERY DAW/sequencer which is midi compatible has a way of simply recording the midi input notes - whether they come from a simple midi keyboard or Lemur, is irrelivant.

;)

As for the functionality of some templates, yes its true that some indeed lack documentation - but on how to connect them, it all boils down to the same way. Start off simple, use the template of lemur that features a simple midi keyboard and try to make that work within FL Studio and a random VST synth. Once, you get that achieved, then the procedure will be the same for any other note-generative template.
I wasnt kidding about it, for more information: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321760 one needs 3th party software to do it. This reason alone has given me serious thoughts about changing to ableton. Just got Loopbe30 which hopefully will solve this issue. And recording normal midi data from a keyboard is no problem, the problem comes when its a vst that generate the notes

That is a shame :/ problem is I dont know how to route it to those vsts since its not showing up. With reaktor I had to set ports, ip adress. I found one tutorial on the subject that was really helpful. I guess I will take a break from this awhile and try to browse the net for tutorials, im sure I will find a good one later on. Got loads of other stuff to learn meanwhile :P I gotta accept, lemur wont be easy to learn and will most likely have to make time for reading the manual.

Anyway thanks for answers

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Mar 2014 14:46

But but, but....oh pleeeeease try to understand what Im saying three posts now

FORGET that Lemur is software....as far as FL studio is concerned, its JUST ANOTHER OUTBOARD MIDI CONTROLLER....its not a VST! it WILL TRIGGER a VST....just as a midi keyboard would.....

And yeah, If you are on Windows you need a third party - virtual midi cable to set it up correctly.....LoopBe30 fits nicely for the purpose indeed.....

Let me know how you get on with setting up! ;) Again, I urge you to start simply, with a plain ol midi keyboard in Lemur (there is one already at the factory templates I believe) and then take it from there! ;)

here's a rough scheme of things

Lemur runs on iPad, Daemon and virtual midi cable runs on your PC

the connections are

iPad Lemour -> Daemon tool -> virtual midi 1 -> FL studio (for control)
FL Studio -> virtual midi 2 -> Daemon tool -> iPad Lemur (for feedback)

IN essense, you need to activate two virtual midi ports of LoopBe, set them as in and out in Daemon, and then vice versa in the software preferences (FL studio)