Lemur + iConnect2 = low resolution midi

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
catmann05
Lemur + iConnect2 = low resolution midi

Post by catmann05 » 21 Feb 2014 17:18

I have been using Lemur via wifi for a while and I noticed the resolution of midi Control Changes (when sending and recording them to Cubase using Lemur Faders) was about 4 times lower than when sending from my Akai keyboard (using a USB Midi interface).

I just purchased the iConnect Midi 2+ to fix an issue with periodically disconnecting of midi ports (Lemur Daemon ports) via Wifi. Unfortunately I discovered that now the resolution is even lower, about half than what it was before (Lemur via Wifi).

Anybody knows if this is normal and if there is any way I can chnage that.

iPad2, Windows 7/64, Cubase 7.5

Phil999
Regular

Re: Lemur + iConnect2 = low resolution midi

Post by Phil999 » 21 Feb 2014 21:34

how do you measure the resolution of MIDI?
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

catmann05

Post by catmann05 » 21 Feb 2014 21:49

Phil999 wrote:how do you measure the resolution of MIDI?
Well, no scientific method. Just move the slider/physical Modwheel or Lemur Fader with about the same speed, from 0 to 127 and I look at the midi controller lane in my Daw (cubase). The gaps between two consecutive midi CC values (as seen on the recording) for the lemur are considerably farther apart one from each other, than with a physical device (connected via a usb or pci midi interface).

When using the Lemur to control sound libraries (expression or vibrato, etc) it is important to have a good resolution. I am afraid the word 'resolution' is not the correct one here, as the resolution of midi CC is always the same, 128. But it is about how many value point (dots) are transmitted per time unit during a continuous movement of a wheel or fader.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 22 Feb 2014 01:52

I see. Well this seems a bit of a delicate question.

First, there's one thing I don't understand. You are saying that there is a difference if you send MIDI via wifi or wire?

It also depends on the plugin, how the incoming data is handled. For example, in a softsynth, a fine-tuning or filter cutoff parameter can reveal audible steps if there is no smoothing applied. Most softsynths have some kind of smoothing or interpolation of those 128 steps. That should be totally independent of the MIDI controller and the way how this controller is connected.

Can you show us an example?
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro