what is the propagation scope of aliases ...?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
julien
what is the propagation scope of aliases ...?

Post by julien » 30 Dec 2013 19:07

Hi there,

as there is no documentation about aliases, I don't really know about their scope.

I created a slider in a container in page 1, and I created an alias of this slider in another page 2.
It seems the value propagation doesn't work :(

Any ideas? infos ? docs ...?

Softcore
Regular

Re: what is the propagation scope of aliases ...?

Post by Softcore » 30 Dec 2013 19:12

Hmmm weird! Thats the purpose of it actually - that they behave identically.....

julien

Post by julien » 30 Dec 2013 20:58

Softcore wrote:Hmmm weird! Thats the purpose of it actually - that they behave identically.....

and it doesn't.
maybe I missed something to do, but without docs .. :p

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 30 Dec 2013 21:02

Well actually there is no tmuch to miss....Say, you got a fader, you create an alias of it...then when you touch any of the two, the other one will follow...

Are you testing on the desktop editor or on the actual iPad Lemur (the desktop editor from times to times, fails to update the screen correctly)

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 30 Dec 2013 21:10

Ok just tried our of curiosity (thinking that maybe something broke in an update)....

Windows PC - desktop editor

Blank project -> insert fader -> create alias for the fader -> enter "live mode" (press "E" key for Windows) -> move one fader with the mouse -> the other one follows....

also ....resize one fader -> the other one is resized too

Not what you are getting?

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 31 Dec 2013 07:06

Are you looking for something along the lines of an OOP based programming object? That is to say you create a container full of elements that interact with one another and wish to use this as a template to reproduce more objects of the same type? I think this is what modules are for.

If you want to make 2 objects that function exactly the same (communicate with the same variables etc), but have them look diffrent, you will need to code each one individually (or copy and paste), and be sure to update additions in scripts and so forth manually between the two. (Royal pain in the ass, I know)...

If you're into some really heavy stuff, you can keep all of the logic in a hidden container and just link to it via getexpression and setexpression from the actual visible objects (faders etc)...