Alias' documentation ?

Post by julien » 30 Dec 2013 19:02

aliases aren't in the documentation.
can we have details about them ?

Softcore
Regular

Re: Alias' documentation ?

Post by Softcore » 30 Dec 2013 19:10

The lack of Alias in the manual has already been noted by lots of users - we can only hope for a revision of the manual for it.

For the time being here's a rough description:

By creating an "alias" of an object you are creating a "clone" so to speak of that object, usually to be used in different pages - tabs - container of one project.

The "alias" object is always "tied" to the original object in terms of properties, mappings, scripts (if any exist inside the "mother" object), dimensions, colors etc etc. If you delete an object which has been the "mother" of an alias object, the desktop editor will provide a pop-up informing you that deleting the "mother" object will also delete the alias object (sometimes though, I have seen the alias object being orphaned instead of being deleted, in which case you will notice a background made up of blue and light blue squares, occupying the screen space where the alias once was)

All in all, its a fast way for duplicate, look-alike, behave-alike objects in your project.

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 31 Dec 2013 22:02

Softcore wrote: By creating an "alias" of an object you are creating a "clone" so to speak of that object, usually to be used in different pages - tabs - container of one project.

The "alias" object is always "tied" to the original object in terms of properties, mappings, scripts (if any exist inside the "mother" object), dimensions, colors etc etc. If you delete an object which has been the "mother" of an alias object
Yes, if you're anything like me you were probably hoping to create an alias that you could style differently (change color and shape) in an OOP manner; unfortunately you cant. Think of the alias as a simple mirror of its parent, nothing about it can be unique except its X Y positioning, and its location in the object tree.

alfonso

Post by alfonso » 12 Mar 2014 00:09

too bad. i was hoping to have the feature to change dimentions and even shape ( i.e. a little knob used in another page as alias of a big slider ).

do you think guys, there's a way to do it via scripting techniques?

thanks

a.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 12 Mar 2014 07:32

yes, you send the x-value to the other object and vice-versa. On top of each script add a "return" command when the other object is touched. Like this you can create "aliases" that can be different object types.

Edit: bah, I just made an example, that explains it better.
Attachments
test_custom_alias.jzml
(4.7KiB)Downloaded 75 times
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro