iConnectMIDI2+ DOES work with Lemur!

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
shofarsogood
iConnectMIDI2+ DOES work with Lemur!

Post by shofarsogood » 20 Dec 2013 15:21

Here are the settings I used to make Lemur work using a hard wired connection. I confirmed it worked by rebooting my pc, rebooting the iPad and disconnecting the iConnectMIDI2 wiring to start completely from scratch.

The debugging process was hampered significantly because over the course of testing dozens (hundreds?) of setting combinations, Lemur became confused or compromised and stopped sending MIDI altogether, even though I thought the problem was the combination of settings I was trying. The problem was fixed with a reinstall of Lemur on the iPad.

The following settings will send MIDI data to Reaper on my system: iPad2 running the latest OS, Windows 7 PC running Reaper, iConnectMIDI2+.

1. You do NOT need the Daemon so you must go to the tray and specifically turn it off by Quitting it.
2. You do NOT need a WIFI connection of any sort (adhoc, etc.)
3. You do NOT need a loopMIDI type of virtual port creator.
4. Use iConnectMIDI2 factory settings.
5. Within the Lemur settings on the iPad:
set MIDI 0 target "From" to be "iCM2 USB 1.3"
set MIDI 0 target "To" to be "iCM2 USB 1.3"
6. Within Reaper running on the PC:
disable all MIDI inputs and outputs except MIDIIN3, MIDIIN4, MIDIOUT3 and MIDIOUT4 (may not be necessary).
7. To record Lemur output, Set the individual track to record MIDIIN3.

Here are the most confusing things about this situation:

1. That the Daemon and virtual port MIDI Loop software is not needed and totally misleading when using your interface. The Windows requirement of only one active port is irrelevant because the Daemon and virtual port software are not used.

2. The port naming conventions. The biggest news here is that ports 1 and 2 on the iConnectMIDI are for the DIN plugs! I would find a way to name them DIN1 and DIN2 if possible.

3. That Lemur itself needed to be reinstalled because it was not sending any MIDI. I installed MIDI-OX (PC) to check for MIDI data coming from Lemur. I knew that the interface and cabling of my system were ok because I was able to get midi activity from another iPad program to show up in Reaper and MIDI-OX.

4. Lemur's "From" and "To" need to be very precisely defined or reworded because they can be understood from 2 completely opposite views. Is "From" defined from the iPad Lemur's perspective or the perspective of the device you are sending or receiving from? This is not a small issue for anyone starting out debugginga non-funcational system because anything can be viewed as a variable and confusion reigns.

electrofux
Regular

Re: iConnectMIDI2+ DOES work with Lemur!

Post by electrofux » 21 Dec 2013 14:06

You don't have to quit the Daemon. I have the Daemon running for target 1 and 2 and the iconnect Midi for target 3.

If i remember right, when you select the device in Lemur you need to take the ICM not the iconnect Midi one to circumvent the Daemon. But i am not at my computer atm.

And make the proper setting in the iconnect Midi configuration like USB1 Out goes to USB2 IN, so you can get the input on the computer.

it is not that trivial and at first i was really wondering why it wasnt working for me.

catmann05

Post by catmann05 » 29 Dec 2013 11:29

I a considering getting a iConnectMIDI2 as well. I have a question though that I can't seem to find an answer to. Maybe somebody here can enlighten me.

So I am running a big Lemur Template that needs two set of ports: one bidirectional (to/from Cubase Generic Remote for commands, etc) and another one unidirectional (to Cubase which transmits Midi CC to Midi tracks - to control various sample libraries, etc).

Would the iConnectMIDI2+ do this, or do I need the bigger, more expensive model iConnectMIDI4?

shofarsogood

Post by shofarsogood » 30 Dec 2013 04:28

I'm no expert, but with the iConnect MIDI2+ you do have a MIDI in and out as well as the USB ports which include 4 virtual USB ports. Certainly between all those ports you should be able to do what you want to do.

catmann05

Post by catmann05 » 01 Jan 2014 15:20

Thank you shofarsogood for your response. I think I am going to get one of those. With my present setup (via WIFI router) my lemur keeps disconnecting (the ports turn red and need to be re-assigned). I couldn't find a workaround for this issue...

wurlt01
Regular

Post by wurlt01 » 01 Jan 2014 21:40

Catman I have this problem too sometimes what I do is close lemur. The double clip home button so I can really close lemur then I reopen lemur and all is good. I've got a template for live that uses 3 ports and the 3rd one goes red sometimes. Ad that's how I easily fix is starts right were it left. Though using I connect midi does sound good I've considered buying one too. But I'm only using lemur In studio if I performed live I think I would get one for the stability.

shofarsogood

Post by shofarsogood » 02 Jan 2014 22:03

Catman and Wulrt01,

I went to the iConnectMIDI2+ for exactly the same reason: something kept turning off the WIFI radio in my laptop which, of course, made lemur quit working rendering it useless. Since I started using the hardwired interface it has been rock solid and lightning fast. It's the only way to go.

Vas

Post by Vas » 30 Jan 2014 02:01

Hello,

Looks like this setup is over my head but will attempt to get the Lemur working since I already have made the investment and also bought enChord (and about to buy reChord). This setting up the Lemur and enChord has already wasted hours in the vain attempt to get it to work.
So since the enChord is on my PC how do I get it to go on my iPad? See my post:
http://forum.liine.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3865

Also:
enChord http://www.avantgardesound.com/
reChord http://artsunmuted.com/rc/rc.html

shofarsogood on the OP said that the Wifi is not required. It’s not even required for the setup to get enChord to work? Please confirm.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
23" 10-touch Monitor, iPad Air - IconnectMIDI2+, Windows 10- 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, Firebox, Cubase 7.5, Sonar Platinum, S1 2, Reaper 5, Komplete 8, Lumur, Iris 2.

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 02 Feb 2014 03:07

In the iconnect midi config tool, you need to go to port routings and route the port where your ipad hangs on to the ports were you computer is connected to (for input and output). Check how the two ports are named they are easily misread and then things get set up wrong.

But you can go from Lemur to the computer without the Daemon with the iconnect Midi

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 02 Feb 2014 04:53

Hi
Wifi is generally used for communicating with Lemur including uploading projects, like enchord.
You can however also load projects via iTunes file management...
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]