Need a simple Ableton clip launcher

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
benjamingordon
Need a simple Ableton clip launcher

Post by benjamingordon » 16 Oct 2013 08:09

Hi.

Im building a very simple custom interface for a launching clip and turning instruments on and off.

I have switches layed out left to right across my ipad and labelled.

I want the switches to respond to its playing state in live, so flash when about to play and flash when about to turn off.

I dont want to use one of the user templates thats out there i just want to be able to use my one so i can customise the layout and colours.

Is there a way to make this work? Maybe some simple code or scripting i need to add to my switches?

Cheers!

xmonsta

Re: Need a simple Ableton clip launcher

Post by xmonsta » 16 Oct 2013 08:46

Creating a clip launcher is very complicated. I wouldnt recommend building one from scratch. There are two available for lemur which are livecontrol2 and Mu. Both are very good. Both might be difficult to customise. With livecontrol2 to customise it you have to work around all the sysex in the template (if something is deleted from the template and the python script does not recognise it, livecontrol2 might fail to start). With Mu, you could delete parts of the template and also parts from the Mu maxforlive device (not completely necessary, but would recommend doing this if clip launcher is all you need, will speed up the template).

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 16 Oct 2013 10:50

Hi
Have a look through the User Library http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/ . . .
There are a couple of different projects there that would fit you requirements or provide ideas on implementation . Edit them as you see fit . . .
It can be quite complex depending on what you want to achieve and your understanding of MIDI and general programming . . .
It really depends on how complex you want it to be and how you want it to work . . .
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » 16 Oct 2013 12:44

The thing is... I don't want a control surface or a grid.

I literally want a bunch of switches that I can move around and create multiple interfaces (one for each song) and be able manually map them to specific clips/slots.

I don't want to have to move it around.

Maybe I have no choice really.

I dont have the knowledge or knack to do this.

Is there anyone that could help customise this for me?

It would be really appreciated.

Cheers!!

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 16 Oct 2013 13:52

Hi
It should be fairly easy to implement then though a little bit of scripting will be needed but nothing too heavy
I'd just have to check out what data is sent back for the different clip states - I did it before so there should be something lying around
From memory it is not too complex and the scripting is pretty easy to explain/understand . . .
Maybe do up a bit of an outline of what you want and post it here - mapped how you want it as best you can so we can see what you are after

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » 16 Oct 2013 13:55

Sounds good!

Well really all I need is one switch that does this. Not sure if it would be a CC or note on?

Then I can duplicate it and change it's cc number as many times as I need for different clips and songs.

How does that sound?

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 16 Oct 2013 14:46

Yeah might be able to do something - found part of what I did which was a small grid setup . .
But it would help if you sent something with your ideas anyway - we may have different ideas of what is wanted and how you want to run it . . .
MM

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » 16 Oct 2013 15:07

@Macciza ive messaged you.

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » 18 Oct 2013 10:44

Is the anyone who might be able to help with this?

Would really appreciate it.

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 19 Oct 2013 13:27

Hey,

for a small clip launcher with light interaction in ableton this thread may be also interesting for you:
http://forum.liine.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... =25&t=1040
I posted an example there and also how to edit it....

hope that helps
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control