Charging MIDI interface

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
dalgaard
Charging MIDI interface

Post by dalgaard » 20 Sep 2013 08:46

Hello,

I am starting a tour in France, where we will depend on Lemur on an iPad to control Ableton Live.

Wifi connectivity could be an option, but I much prefer the reliability of a hardware connection.

I have used iConnect 1 with success, it's very reliable. However, the fact that the first generation of iConnect interfaces doesn't provide power to the iPad has proven to be a problem, as the iPad quickly runs out of power.

I would love to use iConnect 2 or iConnect 4, but the company seems to have serious manufacturing issues. Hardly any of their products have been available for the past many months, and our first media appearances and concerts are quickly approaching. So I'm looking for a very reliable alternative.

The Kenton MIDI USB Host seems to do the job of providing iPad - Computer connectivity while charging the iPad. However, absolute reliability is a must. Can anybody share their experiences with the Kenton product or anything similar?

Thanks!

cloudswap

Re: Charging MIDI interface

Post by cloudswap » 24 Sep 2013 18:59

Hi,

I am also curious to a similar solution or ideas. I tour with up to three shows daily and on average it runs down 25-35% for one show.

A "reliable" solution is to have multiple ipads. One is charging while another is running. This also makes sense for any production (always have a spare). The danger with this solution, once you have two ipads, you start using both :)

(I really really wish it would be as simple as the regular Apple cable hooked into the mac could supply both the connection and the power)