Using w/ iPad without Computer. Current Status?

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
tedbow
Using w/ iPad without Computer. Current Status?

Post by tedbow » 01 Apr 2013 15:17

I am considering moving my whole live performance setupfrom iPad with a computer to just iPad. But my experience using Lemur with an iPad 2 and iOS using internal Core MIDI connections has been terrible.

It usually cannot find my other applications, such as Animoog and Loopy HD as MIDI out(or in) targets. It also cannot find my Akai EIE connected to the Camera Connection Kit. It sometimes can find these so I assume it suppose to work. I have tried many variations such as starting Lemur before other apps and starting other apps before Lemur. I have also tried connecting the EIE before and after starting the iPad.

Other apps seem to always be able to find each other and find my Akai EIE so it would seem to be a Lemur problem.

Are other people having similar problems? Have you found solutions for using Lemur without a computer? Are there any applications that solve this problem, such as Midi Bridge?
It seems like if this kind of stuff only works intermittently for performing it is the same as not working at all because you can't depend on it.

I love Lemur and would like to continue to use it but if is the only thing that makes me keep a computer in my setup I will probably try to find another solution.

Thanks for any feedback

tedbow

Re: Using w/ iPad without Computer. Current Status?

Post by tedbow » 02 Apr 2013 12:52

I guess I would also like hear if other people are using Lemur successfully with other iPad apps via Core Mide and via the camera connection kit.

Thanks

biologik

Post by biologik » 02 Apr 2013 15:50

I'm using Lemur with all hardware. I've got it controlling my Octatrack, Machinedrum, and Virus with no problems.
I used to use a BCR2000 but now this has replaced it. Much more flexible.

If you need midi feedback (ie. you turn a knob on the virus and want it to show up on the Lemur) you can use an app called MidiBridge. It works great.
I'm using the camera connection kit going to the USB to midi interface that came with my Machinedrum.

tedbow

Post by tedbow » 03 Apr 2013 15:34

biologik, thanks for the info.

So your USB midi interface shows up directly in your "Midi Targets" Under "Midi Targets" -> "To"?(without MidiBridge)
What kind of interface are you using? Mine doesn't show up though it can be seen by Midi Monitor https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/midi-mo ... 50746?mt=8 and other apps.
Did you have to anything special to get it show up?

Thanks

biologik

Post by biologik » 03 Apr 2013 16:33

Yes, it shows up as "Elektron TM-1" which is the name of the interface. I don't have to use midibridge to get it to work. I can just go in and out of the TM-1 ports. The interface is intended for use to transfer samples and backup the elektron machinedrum but it works great as a usb to midi interface. I know all the people who use elektron gear with Lemur also use it. What interface are you using?

This is my setup: Octatrack out --> MD in. MD thru ---> Virus in. Virus out --> TM-1 in (this last step I only use once in a while if I care about knob feedback, but most of the time I'm working only on Lemur so I don't bother with this or midibridge). then I have the iPad attached to the usb port and have TM-1 out ---> Octatrack midi in.

tedbow

Post by tedbow » 03 Apr 2013 17:27

biologik wrote:What interface are you using?
I am using the Akai EIE which is a class compliant usb device. Other apps can see it as a MIDI out(and MIDI in and Audio in/out).

Are you using iOS 6 and most up-to-date Lemur?

biologik

Post by biologik » 03 Apr 2013 17:48

Oh, I'd have thought that it would work without any problems.. It's strange that other apps can see it but Lemur can't. Shoot an email to support?
I'm using the newest iOS (6.XX whatever it is) and newest version of Lemur.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » 11 Nov 2013 14:43

hey biologik, i'm trying to use midibridge to get feedback from the octatrack to kraftf's lemur template. could you please go into a little more detail as to how you set this up ? do i have to change any settings in the template ? do i have to send a special cc to the octatrack to get it to spit out it's cc's etc.

thanks

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » 11 Nov 2013 16:23

don't worry.....sussed it. i was misunderstanding the lemur routing set up.