Noob multiball question

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Salt+Slug
Noob multiball question

Post by Salt+Slug » 18 Jan 2013 22:16

So I know this is a noob question, but I am trying to do something that I cannot figure out esp. now with in-app editing.
I have a multiball with let's say 3 balls (singletons). I would like to be able to midi assign the (x) & (y) for each ball to a different midi cc, effectively creating 3 x/y pads from the 1 multi ball. I understand "multiball.x[1]=" I just don't understand how to address the cc message... Effectively I would expect "multiball.x[1]=? multiball.y[1]=?" and so on... I know I probably haven't said this in an understandable way but any help would be great!
Thanks
S+S
Moog LittlePhatty Stage2, Novation Ultranova, Live8 suite, NI Massive, NI FM8, Max/Msp, LaunchPad, APC-40, and a lot more

mat
Regular

Re: Noob multiball question

Post by mat » 20 Jan 2013 17:12

Hey,

I just had a look and it seems that the direct Midimapping offers no seperation between different balls (just x, y, ....), wondering myself.
However, you can do that using "custom Midi" and fill in "Multiball.y[1]" for value... that means 6 custom midi variables in your case.

You can also use some stuff from the user area. I created a module which does send on 4 balls (also include range for each axis and routing)
See here: http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/5/

hope that helps
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

Salt+Slug

Post by Salt+Slug » 20 Jan 2013 18:24

Thanks for your reply, Mat, so I guess what I need is to wrap my head around [ctlout] and make it an expression "multiball.x[#]=(tgt,ctl,val,ch)" ? And thanks for sharing your example, on my way to check it out and hopefully learn something!
S+S
Moog LittlePhatty Stage2, Novation Ultranova, Live8 suite, NI Massive, NI FM8, Max/Msp, LaunchPad, APC-40, and a lot more

Salt+Slug

Post by Salt+Slug » 21 Jan 2013 02:23

I figured it out make expression X1=multiball.x[0] then assign midi ch/cc and repeat for each x/y.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 21 Jan 2013 14:15

Hi
When the MultiBall has a number of balls,say 3, then the x value is an array of values between 0 -1 for each ball ie MultiBall.x might be {0,0.5,0.7}
Or they can be accessed as MultiBall.x[0],MultiBall.x[1] and MultiBall.x[2]

You can set separate MID mappings for them the usual way just select a continuos range of CC values in the panel and it will send separate cc's . . .
Of course scripting does give you greater control ...
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Salt+Slug

Post by Salt+Slug » 21 Jan 2013 17:01

Tanks for the insight, like I said I managed to get it by creating my own expressions for each of the x and y values. It was really a lot easier than I was trying to make it before. With the expression it's like making a "new" x that is midi mappable just like the default one. Sometimes I really like of over think things and make it a lot harder than it needs to be
X0=multiball.x[0]
Y0=multiball.y[0]
X1=multiball.x[1]
Y1=multiball.y[1]

Once I created these expressions I opened up the individual x & y variables which then map like normal with any other x,y,or z

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 21 Jan 2013 21:18

You still have made it harder than it is....It was all a matter of assigning the CCs at the two MIDI mapping settings divided with the word "to" (or consecutive midi channels) - unless you want something other than consecutive CC numbers or midi channels there is no need to make a script (and you wont lose bi-directional communication)

Somehow I have the notion you are still missing the easy way, that's why Im merely repeating what macciza said - my apologies if Im mistaken!

Salt+Slug

Post by Salt+Slug » 22 Jan 2013 18:32

Yeah, they are not consecutive cc #'s so I needed to address them individually