pad-switch frustration [solved]

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
whatisvalis
Regular
Re: pad-switch frustration

Post by whatisvalis » 10 Dec 2012 16:57

Seems odd since Mackie is a universal control structure.

If you look at the mackie implementation chart you can see that

Note on 127 = Mute on
Note off 0 = Mute off

http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm

Perhaps you could dump mackie for certain functions and create a custom map?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 10 Dec 2012 17:20

Hear ya but its not the first time the mackie Protocol is interpreted differently by different manufacturers. I imagine noone ever had to decrypt a secret handshake with mackie emulations and Live or Cubase, correct? (like Novation's Launchpad with Ableton Live)

Guess what happens in Sonar! ;)

By the way, the document is correct in the sense that Sonar sends the correct on-off values back to Lemur as feedback - it just doesnt "hear" the correct messages.The same happens in Ableton Live - I just checked. It also "listens" only note ons and requires pads to work correctly (but of course, feedback is problematic).

Anyways, I ve decrypted the damn handshake, I ve managed to make level meters work in Lemur, this aint gonna stop me! ;)

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 10 Dec 2012 18:32

Have you tried playing with the light property of the pad?

So PadName.light = x

I've found that setting the light value to 0.325 will emulate the the look of the pad when its x value is 1.

This should be simple enough for you since you're only doing on/off (I had to do some interpolation as I was mimicking the value of the fader with the pads light value)... It would be nicer if the number was a bit more round (1 or even .5) but not the end of the world.

The only downside is you need to see the pad's on and off colors to the same value for it to appear seamless...

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 10 Dec 2012 19:43

Traxus wrote:The only downside is you need to see the pad's on and off colors to the same value for it to appear seamless...
that's actually possible. See this post:

http://liine.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8868#p8868
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

wurlt01
Regular

Post by wurlt01 » 10 Dec 2012 19:51

traxus could you right the script out a little bit easier i

So PadName.light = x is this a script and if so you you write out what our things are need to complete. Im learning lemur buit don't make everything out learning to code.

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 10 Dec 2012 20:19

Basically, when you want the pad to be displayed fully lit

write (replace PadName with the actual name of your pad object)

Code: Select all

PadName.light = 0.325;
when you want to turn the light in the pad off:

PadName.light = 0;
This is ugly but should work, try adding a script to the Pad, set the execution to x and paste in:

if (PadName.light == 0) {
    PadName.light = 0.325
} else if (PadName.light == 0.325) {
    PadName.light = 0;
}

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 10 Dec 2012 20:32

Phil999 wrote:
Traxus wrote:The only downside is you need to see the pad's on and off colors to the same value for it to appear seamless...
that's actually possible. See this post:

http://liine.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8868#p8868
Sorry, I don't see how that applies?

With my example, setting the light to .325 mimics the brightness of the pad when x = 1... even when x = 0. If the off state were a different color, the pad would still be brighter but the color would be different and the effect would not appear seamless...

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 10 Dec 2012 23:04

Traxus wrote:Sorry, I don't see how that applies?

With my example, setting the light to .325 mimics the brightness of the pad when x = 1... even when x = 0. If the off state were a different color, the pad would still be brighter but the color would be different and the effect would not appear seamless...
I'm also a bit confused. When I have the same colour for off and on, and set the light to 0.325, the pad gets slightly brighter when I touch it. Can you post an example? I'm sure I misunderstood something.

In my example I leave the light at 0, and only change saturation and value, to compensate the 'on' state which changes saturation and value.

Edit: ah, now I think I understand. I am trying to leave the pad untouched so to speak ("The only downside is you need to see the pad's on and off colors to the same value for it to appear seamless..."), and you want the exact opposite. Sorry, my fault, I misinterpreted the topic entirely. My bad English. Sorry for the confusion.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 11 Dec 2012 01:27

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Got plenty of stuff to test after reading the posts! Will be back soon!

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 11 Dec 2012 18:35

Thanks for the help everyone...the solution was finally based on the light toggling script by Traxus plus a few minor aditions to further make it seemless when it receives feedback from the DAW ;)

for anyone interested link with exampl in the following post
http://liine.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8892#p8892