pad-switch frustration [solved]

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Softcore
Regular
pad-switch frustration [solved]

Post by Softcore » 10 Dec 2012 00:42

Ok I am working on a nice Mackie emulation for a DAW which hasnt yet appeared in the user library (wink) and after days of work to make the LED meters work (oh yes they do finally) and just when I was thinking this will be the best template I 've made...I 've hit a brickwall.

The case: in Mackie, many buttons send note-ons to control "switches" in the software although they behave as pads - for example a mute button mutes and unmutes in the software by consecutive 127 values of a given pitch (note on velocity) and the 0 velocities are ignored. What this means is that in Lemur a pad works perfectly for this purpose BUT unfortunately, being a pad it doesnt stay lit when you press it - although the corresponding controlled parameter, in our example the "mute" is a "on-off" parameter (its really a switch not a pad).

So it comes down to this: if you use a pad in Lemur you have correct control but poor feedback - its only accurate when you press the buttons IN the software with your mouse - if you press the Lemur buttons, the release of your finger causes the pad to unlit regardless of what the actual value of the software is.
If you use a switch, then you have perfect "feedback" but you need to press the button twice to control the parameter in th software.

Ideally, I would need a button that
1.sends 127 when pressed -0 when released, 127 when pressed again and so on
2.On each consecutive push, it toggles between on and off visually (either different color or light would do)
3.It correctly identifies incoming 127 and 0 values as ons and offs

I thought about playing a bit with script and "light" to create a pseudo-on appearance by changing the light but still cant make it work!
Any ideas?
Last edited by Softcore on 12 Dec 2012 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

whatisvalis
Regular

Re: pad-switch frustration

Post by whatisvalis » 10 Dec 2012 01:35

There are instances that require scripting to sync buttons, but I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding mute.
Just use a switch object, it syncs perfectly with the DAW using the Mackie protocol or a generic remote regardless of if it's activated in Lemur or the sequencer. (make sure your Daw is transmuting)

I am close to releasing a Mackie Cubase template that uses both generic remote + mackie selected ch and mixer, and i have no issues with feedback

You can actually keep pads lit using scripted light settings. Have a look at the settings section of my XYPad template in the library or any of AB's stuff, he uses loads of awesome tricks

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 10 Dec 2012 08:00

Using a "switch" for a Mackie button (mute buttons, solo buttons etc) is not a good solution because you have to press the "switch" twice!
Here's another post with exactly the same problem:
http://liine.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2334#p8846

I'll have a look at the stuff you said though! The only other solution I could think of was to have visually hidden pads (no light at all) and indicate the state of the buttons via "led" objects - it works fine, but its just visually not that pleasing and clear to the eye as a lit pad-switch would be!

wurlt01
Regular

Post by wurlt01 » 10 Dec 2012 13:08

Softcore im trying to solve same problem look at the tread i just started. I posted my almost finished mackie control that also has pads instead of switches. We need lemur to recieve midi from live to light pads i believe that way it show excatly what live sees

wurlt01
Regular

Post by wurlt01 » 10 Dec 2012 13:14

Softcore thanks for led ideas that might be what i was missing in my template we still need a way for buttons to light up. Mazia how can we have buttons. light up by recieveing midi from live.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 10 Dec 2012 13:37

I just had an idea but I dont have the DAW and iPad with me to check it! It incorporates "custom button" objects which are scripted to change behavior (switch - pad) to accomplish what we want. If it passes the testing tonight I'll post my idea here so you can use it! ;)

In the meantime, the closest I could come up with was black off black on, no lights pads array overlayed by text and a 2x3 small LED array. Im mapping the LED array to each note on so for example the first led array is mapped to note on - pitch 8, channel 1 (the first Solo button). When you press solo they light up to indicate that the channel is pressed - whether from the software or from Lemur itself.

Again, the problem is that the feedback TO the pad comes, usually, before you release the pad - so the finger's release turns it off - If you use the software's buttons, the pads light up correctly. This why it works with LEDs they do not interact with your finger. My custom button workaround however turns it into a "switch" when that happens - I'll test and post back.

whatisvalis
Regular

Post by whatisvalis » 10 Dec 2012 13:42

What Daw are you using?

Have you looked at the bunch of Mackie templates in the user library?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 10 Dec 2012 14:19

Cakewalk's Sonar. But I really doubt this is relivant. Every Mackie template I downloaded for Live has pads, not switches. Perhaps however, Cubase treats the switches diffrently than the rest of DAWs - cant tell because I dont have it to test!

whatisvalis
Regular

Post by whatisvalis » 10 Dec 2012 14:41

Like i said i use switches for 2 state functions such as mute amd solo, not pads.

Look at these templates, they uses custom buttons / switches for mute / solo, and feedback works correctly.

MACKIE FOR CUBASE (IPAD) V1
http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/151/

CUBASE ARRANGEMENT TEMPLATE
http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/309/

This template uses pads, and Feedback does not work correctly

CMTEC STUDIOONE V1.1
http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/204/

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 10 Dec 2012 15:43

Great, thanks but like I said perhaps ALL OTHER DAWs besides CUBASE require pads to work without double pressing - hence why the Studio One template you found and the ones for Ableton Live I find are all with pads. Furthermore, I have tried 4 times to use a "switch" and the result is ALWAYS the same - the feedback is correct but the parameter changes every SECOND press of the switch! In other words, the software mutes-unmutes or solos-unsolos for every "Note on velocity 127" it receives - the switch sends a "on" message (Note on 127 velocity) but then, when you switch it off, it sends "Note on 0 velocity" so each second press is ignored.

Thanks again!