'red ring' in Ableton Session

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
sheen
'red ring' in Ableton Session

Post by sheen » 20 May 2012 22:16

Hi I haven't purchased the Lemur ipad app yet. Before I do so I just want to work out whether it can do what I want. I'm basically after an Ableton clip launcher ala griid/touch-able but a lot more customizable. I'd like to predefine the grid dimensions and use the rest of the screen for other stuff. So can I get a session control surface (with the coloured ring in Ableton) and get clip names show up in Lemur?

Rygen

Re: 'red ring' in Ableton Session

Post by Rygen » 21 May 2012 01:25

You can, but appart from MU (which requires Max For Live) there aren't many in-depth templates out there for Ableton Live as far as I know.

You can create one to mimic an APC-40 and use the files provided here to connect it to Ableton. You'll se the red box (or other color, if it's not your first midi controller listed in Live's preferences pane). You'll just have to adjust the MIDI_Map.py file according to what you create in the Lemur Editor, and all should work quite well.
Regarding clip names it's also possible, but unfortunately I don't know how to make it.

On the other hand, there's already LiveControl for TouchOSC, which works perfectly with Ableton Live, and TouchOSC is quite cheaper. It's also fully customisable, shall you want it.
ST8 (the maker of LiveControl) is working at Liine, so there could be some chance that we'd see a LiveControl port on the Lemur. But maybe I'm just dreaming out loud.

I was starting to make some sketches of an APC-40-alike template, but compared to LiveControl such a template is quite inferior functionality-wise, so I've decided not to continue doing it and use LiveControl instead.
I'd love to be able to help in a TouchAble or LiveControl type of template for Lemur, allowing full and adaptable control without the need for Max For Live. I'm missing the programming skills though.

sheen

Re: 'red ring' in Ableton Session

Post by sheen » 23 May 2012 23:09

Thanks.

I've used touchOSC and have made some templates. From what I see of Livecontrol, all the grid items are one colour. I'd like to have a more clip colour based affair ala griid and touch-able.

I also hope the live control maker ports it over to lemur. I could build something in max for live but I think a control surface python solution would be much neater.