Traktor: trying to find the perfect jog dial emulation

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Rygen
Traktor: trying to find the perfect jog dial emulation

Post by Rygen » 18 May 2012 19:58

Hi,

I've been trying to find a way of using an endless knob in Lemur to mimic the scratch behaviour of a jog dial on a cdj.
So far the normal "Knob" object set as endless, and mapped in Traktor as Scratch and set as Fader/Knob - Relative, held the best results
However, there's a problem with it: It sends out continuous values and Traktor only responds when it's inside the 0 to 1 range.
Do you suggest any work around?
I've thought of a script to make it output only values in the 0 to 1 range, but I don't know how to write such script.
Making it a 14bit controller would also improve it's response to very small/precise movements.

Please check the attached module and test it with Traktor Pro 2:
Test_endless_knob.jzlib
(3.12KiB)Downloaded 165 times
On Traktor you'll just need to map "Transport > Scratch" to Ch04.CC.000 and set is as Fader/Knob > Relative. Then for the button to work, map "Transport > Scratch On" to Ch04.CC.001

I've also tried using the Rotary Encoder module provided here, with the grid setting disabled. I've set it as an Encoder on 3Fh/41h mode and with approx 22% Sensitivity and 0% Acceleration.
The problem with that one is that movement is a bit jagged and feels unnatural. It also doesn't respond to movements with different speeds accordingly. The one mentioned in the first paragraph responds much more naturally. Macciza has also tried this Rotary Encoder with some acceleration values but couldn't get it to make much of an effect.
But maybe this one can be made to work better, with more scripting work.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
R

Macciza
Regular

Re: Traktor: trying to find the perfect jog dial emulation

Post by Macciza » 20 May 2012 03:34

Hi

I'm presuming we are mapping to 'Seek Position' in Traktors settings.
One issue here is that with the Knob it ends up being a 0-1 mapping across the length of the track
Making it 14 bit by copying over and editing the code from the 14 bit fader would help resolution wise.
One work around here is simply to use a standard Knob as that is what in effect is being done.
Perhaps a horizontal Slider would be better and is how some have tackled this.

Do you want a 'multi-turn' approach? Acceleration etc? Scratching?
Ordinarily it would be the Encoder-style approach, which I think is a better avenue to pursue.
Either a multi-turn knob or a 'shuttle' style where up is 0 and left or right from there is increment/decrement at varying speeds.

For the Monitor - all you need is Scratch.x to show its value - x is a variable not an attribute.
Scratch.x%1 returns the decimal part only - % = modulo . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Rygen

Post by Rygen » 20 May 2012 19:17

No. What I'm mapping the endless knob to is the Scratch function. Please read my first paragraph to be able to reproduce the behavior and issue.
For "Seek Position" I'm using a horizontal fader, in my opinion it made more sense, as you can set its behaviour to "cap only" and prevent unwanted skips.

Thanks

Rygen

Post by Rygen » 29 Jun 2012 16:29

Has anyone managed to get a good jog dial emulation using Lemur, scratch-wise?