Need help on a simple button for transport

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
ckett
Need help on a simple button for transport

Post by ckett » 16 Apr 2012 12:55

Hello,

New to Lemur!

I am trying to build a button for transport control for my DAW. I am building two buttons, rewind and fast forward. I would like it so that when pressing the button it will send a midi CC to rewind, then releasing it will send another midi CC to stop. Same for the fast forward button. This way it will rewind when you touch and hold it down, then when you release it the play cursor on the DAW stops.

How do I build this?

Thanks!

Phil999
Regular

Re: Need help on a simple button for transport

Post by Phil999 » 16 Apr 2012 13:54

the stop command can be done with a custom MIDI script, executed on release (x value 1 to 0). But I doubt this makes sense, the transport commands of your DAW should already behave like this, stopping the transport after releasing the forward/ or backward button. What DAW is it?
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

ckett

Post by ckett » 16 Apr 2012 14:07

Hello,

I am using Presonus Studio One.

Right now I have a button with behavior set as pad. It is transmitting a CC#. In Studio One I have the button CC# assigned to the key command for FastForward. So it will trigger fast forward, but will stay that way when I release the button. I have to hit the stop button to get it to stop.

Do I need to setup the button as a note On Off Midi message?

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 16 Apr 2012 15:19

I see, so the custom stop command makes sense. Although, did you try it with a switch? And is it not possible to change the transport button behavior in Studio One?

Anyway. Yes I would use MIDI notes for all on/off commands, and CC's for encoders/faders. You can do all with CC's, but you may run out of them in a big template, and must use more than one MIDI channel.

In the attachment is an example of a custom MIDI command (not a script like I wrote earlier). I have only tested it with MIDI-OX, but I believe it should work.
Attachments
releaseCustomMIDI.jzml
(3.06KiB)Downloaded 97 times
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

ckett

Post by ckett » 16 Apr 2012 15:32

Seems like Studio One only accepts Midi CC# assignments to control key commands. Cant get Note On Midi messages to control anything.

How would you create a custom button with a Midi CC# for pressed, and a Midi CC# for its release?

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 16 Apr 2012 16:38

exchange note commands with CC commands. Did you open my template in the editor yet? You need to twirl down the elements in the Project tab and check out 'x' and the custom MIDI 'release'. Select them and make changes in the Mapping tab (MIDI sub-tab). Also note that the target is MIDI 0, on MIDI channel 1. Make sure these match in Studio One.

I believe Studio One can receive note commands for transport, but I don't know for sure. I have never used it, not even a demo.
Last edited by Phil999 on 16 Apr 2012 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

ckett

Post by ckett » 16 Apr 2012 18:21

Thanks,

I will try that out. Unfortunately work is calling. I will post once I try it out and may include images of the settings to get this figured out later. Thanks a lot for your help!

ckett

Post by ckett » 18 Apr 2012 13:20

Well,

Still couldn't get Studio One to work with that button design. Strange. But I was able to copy portions of the transport controls from a Mackie Control Template and use that along with all of my other midi CC control buttons.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 18 Apr 2012 15:40

the Mackie Control protocol are MIDI commands as well (notes for buttons/switches, CC's for faders/encoders), but work in the desired way only as a control surface, not normal MIDI commands. Here's a list, maybe it can be useful for you:

http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm

ckett

Post by ckett » 20 Apr 2012 14:43

Thanks for the link on the Mackie parameters. That helps out a lot!