Stuck note on with inc pitch change

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
whatisvalis
Regular
Stuck note on with inc pitch change

Post by whatisvalis » 17 Mar 2012 19:55

Hi,

I've been messing around with some scripts from other templates and did a quick mock-up of a multiball where the z variable sends midi note on. You can change the pitch via - + incremental buttons and use a drop down menu to jump to C Octaves.

The issue I'm currently having is if you repeatedly trigger note and use + - buttons to change the pitch it causes stuck notes. Anyone willing to have a look and give me some advice?

cheers,

JD
Attachments
Z+-output.jzml
(9.06KiB)Downloaded 76 times

mat
Regular

Re: Stuck note on with inc pitch change

Post by mat » 18 Mar 2012 11:40

Hey,
problem might be missing Midi Noteoff message.
If you change the pitch during note play, the note off message (send by releasing Multiball? ...or however implemented) will be send on new pitch and therefore old pitch got midihung. So Note on and Note off are 2 messages. Hmmm, just had a quik look into your attachment. Have you defined a Noteoff at all?

So, I know these problems well...I fixed it on Scalomat. It send the noteoff when pads going 0. changing pitch of played note during note hold caused midi hung.
kraftf made some extensions to scalomat, cause he got hung notes on hardware (which I had never tested). See threat here:
http://liine.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=813

hope that helps
mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

whatisvalis
Regular

Post by whatisvalis » 18 Mar 2012 13:08

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be something to do with the lack of note off messages, last night I quickly tried sending them via +- buttons, but it didn't work.

Will check out that thread and template,

Cheers,

JD

whatisvalis
Regular

Post by whatisvalis » 18 Mar 2012 14:26

Adding a note off script to the template ( and checking via Cubase's midi monitor) works fine, however it still functions the same as a repeated note on message.

If i'm holding C3 down, then press the pitch + button and release Z it will send the note off to C#3. Is there a way to send an All note off message? I think for now that might work best so I can see how the template works in use.

-----

ok, I added three custom off messages. pitch Z off, Pitch - 1 Z Off, and Pitch + 1 Z Off. Seems kind of hackish, but it works. Any problems with this approach?
Attachments
Z+-output.jzml
(12.1KiB)Downloaded 87 times

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 18 Mar 2012 15:57

HI!

Yes you could send all of the proper note off messages by creating an array and loading it with the latest note on note number.
Then trigger a noteoff function that works through the array sending notes with zero velocity.
-J
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas