FURIOUS!!!!!

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
joebataz
Regular
FURIOUS!!!!!

Post by joebataz » 08 Mar 2012 04:53

I just lost what amounts to four days work. I though I had lost just a couple of hours. This is a MAJOR BUG!!!!!!! An undo should not throw away the amount of stuff it just did. This could be a great product but not with an editor that doesn't accept line endings and undoes that wipe out enormous amounts of code. Whe I saw what had happened I tried closing without saving and opening another project. When I then went to load the hosed project it was a MAJOR disaster. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
So much for a job I was looking to get with this app. NIce going
www.stoneagelighting.com
"old as dirt and made from rock..."

Macciza
Regular

Re: FURIOUS!!!!!

Post by Macciza » 08 Mar 2012 05:34

Hi
If you have lost four days work the problem is your Work Practices, not the Editor.
You need to save regularly and keep versioned copies of works in progress - no matter what you are doing.
I don't recall anything anywhere recommending the use of external editors and I would not recommend it.
You really should not have gotten yourself into this mess in the first place so accept some responsibility.
I really don' think we are responsible for your ability to get work . . .
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 08 Mar 2012 05:53

I save religiously, just not version after version after version. I'd have fifty versions a day. I do however save code of to an editor for manipulation and someone on this forum indicated that yes it is a bug. But pressing undo after entering a few word of code should NOT wipe the current object and other surrounding objects. I don't know who would think that;s acceptable. Yes I have all four days of code but must now paste it all back in and do the add CR which is really tedious. I reiterate; undo and editing need to work. If they blow up then let them blow up consistently but randomly wiping code from an object I'm not even working on is a major fopah.
www.stoneagelighting.com
"old as dirt and made from rock..."

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 08 Mar 2012 08:55

never work with complicated templates at full moon. :)

No, seriously, you have to find a different approach. And remember all the good things that became possible with Lemur for iPad. I also once lost one night's work because of the file size limitation in the early version of the editor, but I was still happy to have Lemur that I dreamed of and thought I could never afford. We all should be very grateful to have access to it for such few coins. Not to mention that we all here belong to the 5% of world's population that have computers and iPads.

What I do when I have trouble with software, I just leave it for a couple of days and do something completely different. Taking a walk, visiting friends. And then, with fresh 'batteries', continue. This works always.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

axel_liine
Liine Staff

Post by axel_liine » 08 Mar 2012 09:56

Sorry about that. Indeed the undo/redo system doesn't apply to live text editing in the Script panel.

Salt+Slug

Post by Salt+Slug » 08 Mar 2012 18:26

Save code in a text editor? Thats what I do
Moog LittlePhatty Stage2, Novation Ultranova, Live8 suite, NI Massive, NI FM8, Max/Msp, LaunchPad, APC-40, and a lot more

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 08 Mar 2012 19:34

I do save text in an editor. I mentioned that somewhere above. But then try to paste it back in, especially if it's a couple of hundred lines. Try it!

For the developers:
A repeatable failure mode.
Write an if statement referring to a CustomButton; if(CustomButton.x == 1)..................
I try to give an indication of what the object is like naming a button PBxxxxxxxx. So we have a button that is named CustomButton and somewhere else we have code that refers to it. Now change the name of the button to PBCustomButton. Go look at the if statement and you now have:

if(PBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBP.....................

Didn't actually count the PBs but the code that used to be there is gone replaced by PBPB..........

Just an FYI.

Joe B

ps WHEN I get my template working to the point that it actually does what I want it to I'll release it. I see no reason to release something back to the community that will confuse them.
I also GREATLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP I'VE GOTTEN!!!!!!! I may not say it enough but I been coding for 30+ years and when I have something new to code with I tend to be like a kid with a new toy. If I've offended anyone, sorry, but that's about all I can say. If you think that I am too much of a jerk to talk to that's your choice

jb

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 09 Mar 2012 01:10

Hi
If you have not already , please send a detailed bug report to support@liine.net *edit: .net not .com

I am pretty sure I have noticed it properly 'refactor' code but had not seen this behaviour
It seems to apply to scripts at root level of project in particular . . .

cheers
MM
Last edited by Macciza on 09 Mar 2012 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 09 Mar 2012 01:17

MM,

I went right to the source and edited the jzml directly. Have to be careful but it works. Where are the logs at? The Apple logs already got sent.

joeb

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 09 Mar 2012 01:19

Yes the scripts were at the root level.

Thanks!

Joe B