Still looking

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
joebataz
Regular
Still looking

Post by joebataz » 05 Mar 2012 15:36

I still (4 days now) can't get the midi timecode from a song running in Traktor.
I can't find references to the midi_clock function and what the various messages are (midi_clock[0], midi_clock[1], midi_clock[2],etc.)
I can't find how to setup the object correctly in Lemur, although I don't even know IF it was setup right at some time and Traktor wasn't.
I can get a number back from midi_clock[0] but when I stop and start it resets to zero which is useless for my application.
I'm not sure if I need any midi out messages from Traktor or if just the midi clock is enough.

I have completed all of my application and it works just great except for the fact I CAN'T sync to a song because I can't get this stupid one thing figured out and it's making me NUTS! With all the Traktor templates I've seen and all the discussions of what looks like really complex midi applications it just boggles my mind that I can't get an answer on these questions. Anyone on these forums has seen me here almost CONSTANTLY for 4 days. I'm out of work and trying to make some money with my system which is sitting here in my living room collecting dust. Getting this application complete will raise a few eyebrows and maybe get me some work but not until I get this one thing working.
PLEASE, if anyone has a clue how to do this I'd greatly appreciate some help.

THX

joeb
www.stoneagelighting.com
"old as dirt and made from rock..."

joebataz
Regular

Re: Still looking

Post by joebataz » 05 Mar 2012 20:35

Well that's it. I've reached the wall where without some sort of further help I can't go forward. Lemur was a really nice option but without the details I need to continue this whole project goes on the nice try pile and I'll return to TouchOSC. I just cannot get an answer as to how to get an MTC out of Traktor and into Lemur and quite honestly I've got a flat spot on my head from banging into this wall. I'm seriously frustrated that I'm this close and can't get there.

bah

joeb
www.stoneagelighting.com

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 06 Mar 2012 02:07

DUHHH.......
Neither Traktor nor Live sends out MTC.
Time to find another DJ software package that DOES send out MTC......

joeb
www.stoneagelighting.com

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 06 Mar 2012 03:56

Hi
What exactly are you trying to do?
Perhaps post your project and state the problem you are having . . .
It can be hard to know what you want when you mention both MTC and midi clock
Live sends MIDI clock - pretty sure about Traktor too - What do you need MTC for?
From what I have seen of the Traktor projects there are a few that appear to do sync

Please remember this is a community run forum - not Technical support
We won't necessarily know all the answer to all the questions for all apps . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 06 Mar 2012 04:06

What I would think is a simple thing. I want to know where in a song, by time, by bar count, someway other than midi clock which gets reset to 0 (zero) each time I restart and is useless for what I need. According to what I've read MTC gives me what I want but neither Traktor or Live sends it, so I'm trying to find something that will give me a unique location in the audio. During playback from Lemur my setting should fire at specific times in the song/performance but I need to know where.

thanks MM, just REALLY frustrated.
www.stoneagelighting.com

bxsj
Regular

Post by bxsj » 06 Mar 2012 07:30

Correct me if I’m wrong but are you trying to synchronize a Lemur template to Traktor? I do not owe Traktor, but here is some food for thought.

If properly implemented MIDI clock signals should be sufficient. MIDI clock supports START, STOP and CONTINUE commands. Traktor would be the master and Lemur the slave. Saying that, Lemur would need to accept the MIDI clock commands and react on them. Lemur’s ON MIDI expression supports Timing tick, Start Song, Continue Song and Stop Song.

So first question would be, does Traktor support MIDI clock? A little tool like that could help: http://nic-nac-project.org/~rocket/midi ... ockdetect/ Second you need to figure out what to do with the clock information in your template.
And that is the caveat, the synchronization needs to be implemented/programmed into a Lemur template. Mildly said, not easy, but doable. I have attached a copy of Antonio Blanca’s Abreakpoint2 template; one of the templates synchronizes to MIDI clock.

I know this was not a lot of help, but perhaps some hints on how to proceed. As stated in Starquest: Never give up, never surrender :mrgreen:
Cheers,
B.

Edit: I ran some tests monitoring the MIDI information send out by my DAW sequencer. It seems that MTC may have better information to syncronize. And what about the inbuilt Lemur variable midi_clocks? In any case implementing such functionality will be a pain in the neck. Perhaps one of the seasoned users could chime in and give us some hints?
Attachments
ABreakpoint2.zip
(66.14KiB)Downloaded 114 times
Win7 64, Ipad Lemur, Cubase6 and a bunch of Roland Synths and Samplers

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 06 Mar 2012 13:18

Thanks bxsj.

You are correct. I am trying to synchronize Lemur with Traktor. The clock actually would work if I could get the CONTINUE to function. Let me take a look at the attached template. It might have the functions I need to understand and if it does then I am halfway there. I have several ideas of how to implement the click I just need to get the clock to function how I need it to.

Thanks again, I'll post on my progress.

joeb
www.stoneagelighting.com

bxsj
Regular

Post by bxsj » 06 Mar 2012 15:07

One more thing. Attached is a simple MIDI clock monitor. I've tested it with cubase, may be different with traktor. Seems that all the necessary information is there to synchronize Lemur to an external MIDI clock signal.
Cheers,
B.
Attachments
MIDI Clock Monitor.jzml
(13.31KiB)Downloaded 166 times
Win7 64, Ipad Lemur, Cubase6 and a bunch of Roland Synths and Samplers

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 06 Mar 2012 15:45

Hi
You should probably have a look at the TRAKTOR 4 DECKS SYNC 2 FX project
If what you want to do is control Traktor than this seems to do all the location stuff etc
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 06 Mar 2012 16:35

Thanks all!
Looking at these resources right now.

joeb
www.stoneagelighting.com