Newbie help

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
bxsj
Regular
Re: Newbie help

Post by bxsj » 14 Mar 2012 14:13

B's comments seem fine - though I would add that checksum accuracy is not needed most of the time with Roland hardware, I generally use '00' without problems when sending to my VG - though it may be used in their editors to confirm accuracy of data exchange . . .
I just checked. The checksum byte is not needed. My shame, I just tried to go by the books ... :oops:
Win7 64, Ipad Lemur, Cubase6 and a bunch of Roland Synths and Samplers

teleholic

Post by teleholic » 14 Mar 2012 18:33

@bxsj
i've tried your string..it still doesn't work, with or without the checksum..the bytes still appear blue..or is that supposed to be? Cos in Macciza's nice template I found some midiout scripts with blue bytes too..Do i need to add the first and last byte in custom midi object too? Cos i heard Lemur adds it for you, which was why i left them out of the script..

@Macciza
Fantastic template! But i've got trouble understanding some of it.. What is syx_tmp_hdr? Is it like a group you define earlier cos its a constant that'll appear in most of your project so you can use it?
Also how do you know what's the object target and target? I see you use Parent Midi 2 for both..but for me no midi gets transmitted if i don't use midi 0..so i normally set them to mid 0 and parent midi 0..

Finally big thanks to both of you! you guys have really helped me a lot in understanding what is still mostly Greek to me..

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 15 Mar 2012 06:08

Hi
Blue is cool, red is not . In MIDI/Custom MIDI mapping the F0/F7 bytes are handled for you, scripting midiout() you are talking direct . . .
Yes syx_tmp_hdr is just a numeric vector constant - it is the base address of the 'temporary voice' of the VG, following it is the subaddress of parameters
Using Parent ties it back to the Project MIDI setting, if you select it in the Editor you can set a MIDIOut there and have it cascade through to other objects.
Sorry should have mentioned that, hope you did not go through changing all the objects, don't need a selector for it because it would be part of a bigger project.
You would need to have set up MIDI 2 as a Target in the settings page on the iPad. I have it sending to a few bits of computer connected hardware via different targets.

Have the Guitar section pretty much sorted but need to refactor design to include synths etc, plus got distracted with a different approach altogether.
Looking at ways to leverage the F1-F6 controls on the VG, and also CC control of VG parameters using Lemur both setting via sysex and then controlling via CC's . . .
This means I could change the VG controls to be amp controls, effects controls, etc and use the physics of Lemur to control it as well . . .

The amp thing could be repurposed fairly easily by editing the various values, which you could find from the other GR editor.
Then it's just a decision of what sort of interface you want to use , menus or buttons for amp selection? knobs or faders for amp controls? or selectable ? now that's a thought . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

bxsj
Regular

Post by bxsj » 15 Mar 2012 07:27

Thanx Mac, very well explained. For my purposes I use the midiout command to send sysex strings. Is there a benefit (performance wise or other) in using custom midi/midi mapping versus using midiout?
Cheers,
BxSj
PS.: For more information around Roland gear see here: http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tutr/rolarc.htm Another good site is http://www.rolandmusik.de/links/midiguide/inhalt.html, but it's in German.
Win7 64, Ipad Lemur, Cubase6 and a bunch of Roland Synths and Samplers

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 16 Mar 2012 04:09

Hi Bx
No worries. I sometimes use midiout() also . . .

Some of this started as an experiment in seeing what I could achieve via the mapping system and I got good results.

I don't think there is any real-world performance difference between either method.
Though sometimes I think it is far easier with the mapping for simpler messages.
You can do quiet a bit in the mapping script including nested if structures etc
Am waiting for the next update that should fix the standard sysex mapping
I want to see what can be done bidirectionally with that as well
Also the Custom MIDI provides for some easy different triggering options . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

teleholic

Post by teleholic » 20 Mar 2012 11:10

Hi Macciza, i still can't get a simple sysex msg to work despite trying many variations..could you help me find the problem in my file? Thanks!
The sysex string from the GR55 editor is F041100000531218002004XXXXF7 for pcm volume 1 and F041100000531218002104XXXXF7 for pcm volume 2..

Also, i tried to modify the values in your template but have not much of an idea how to..does sys_tmp_hdr correspond to the first five bytes (excluding 0xf0)? Do i just fit the rest of the bytes in the next section before floor(x*120)? I'm using the amp gain as an example..thanks!
Attachments
Faders.jzml
(5.11KiB)Downloaded 133 times

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 20 Mar 2012 12:16

Hi
You still need to put a checksum value in even if it is 00 and ignored before the F7

So just add in that and either approach should work - you won't need both , disable one or the other . . .

Yes that is right with the constant, up to and including the 0x12/18 mine is decimal.
The next 4 bytes are the parameter address, then the value ie floor(x*120), checksum 00

Sounds like you just about got it - do you need me to do you up a patch?

Cheers
MM

teleholic

Post by teleholic » 20 Mar 2012 15:20

I'd really hate to trouble you after all the help you've provided....let me try what you've suggested and i'll let you know if i need your help to do up a patch..Thanks mate!

teleholic

Post by teleholic » 20 Mar 2012 15:50

Hi i've tried again with the checksum included..still no dice..i've tried fitting the values in your template too but can't get it to work either..if it's not too much trouble, could you help me do up a sample fader that would control pcm vol 1 with that string? Thanks so much!

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 21 Mar 2012 02:07

Hi
Make sure your MIDI comms are all set up properly - Lemur, Computer and GR . . .

This should work - sends same info as T_OSC patch . .
Did some of the Amp work for you Gain, H/M/L & Bass, see if it makes sense now . . .

Cheers
MM
Attachments
GR_Amp+Faders.jzml.zip
(3.56KiB)Downloaded 153 times