Lemur buttons + ableton cue problems

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
willsanquil
Lemur buttons + ableton cue problems

Post by willsanquil » 28 Feb 2012 01:37

So I'm just trying to make a button that toggles an audio track's Cue button and Activator but its not working properly. when I MIDI map a lemur button to a track activator button or any other toggle-able thing in ableton it seems to work fine...but when I map a lemur button to a Cue button in ableton it doesn't work. It takes 2 lemur button presses to activate or deactivate the cue button.

Anyone have any experience with this? Would really help my live setup to be able to do this.

joebataz
Regular

Re: Lemur buttons + ableton cue problems

Post by joebataz » 28 Feb 2012 20:49

I'm having a similar problem but just inside of the template. I'm trying to make multiple pads have a mutually exclusive state, when I touch one pad I want it to remain in the ON state and every other pad in the same grid to turn off. This can't be that hard.

joeb
www.stoneagelighting.com
"old as dirt and made from rock..."

Hiroico

Post by Hiroico » 28 Feb 2012 21:18

try a pad instead of a switch...

willsanquil

Post by willsanquil » 28 Feb 2012 21:56

tried pads/buttons they all act the same - fine for everything but the cue buttons.

fourhexagons

Post by fourhexagons » 28 Aug 2015 00:40

I encountered the same problem, but was able to get it to work by scaling the switch 127 to 126. Now it doesn't take two button pushes to activate/deactivate the cue – it takes just one, as it should and the state of the button reflects the state of the cue.

If you scale it 126 to 127, the state of the button will be opposite the state of the cue. By reversing it (127 to 126) it will match.

Correction: scaling it 127 to 126 does not reverse the state of the button as I had suspected. You just need to be sure that your switches match the state of the cue buttons – just click on the cue button in Live to set it to match whatever the current state of your switch is. That is, there is no two-way communication as to the state, so they need to start off on the right foot.

If anyone with some scripting/OSC/Live API knowledge would care to chime in here with examples on how to achieve this otherwise, please do.

ndivuyo
Regular

Post by ndivuyo » 30 Aug 2015 19:10

Sorry, I've been really inactive myself as of late.
This is a common issue that people have with them cue buttons, mainly because you have to send a 127 value to toggle the state on/off and it doesn't work like a traditional switch.
Short on time, can't remember the best solution (if there is one) at the top of my head.
I would guess that it can be resolved using scripting, using the ctlout() command and sending a 127 value everytime you press. Then you will have to use a light variable or something else as an indicator that the cue button is on/off, or maybe it'll be fine with a switch object, just get the script to match it.

Yes you are right, I think you need to just "start on the right foot" as you say if you want a simple solution. Otherwise you will have to use a max patch or python script to access the api and observe the state of the button and send that info to lemur. That process will be much more involved if you don't have experience in that realm. You can try looking for a patch already made, but then you will have to set it up for each use and bla bla bla. I'm not going to make a patch for you haha, no time...
Try searching around the maxforlive site or something if you really want it. If you find a patch that observes the cue button states, then you can open the patch and add some "udpsend" objects that send OSC messages to your iPad's IP address. Then just route those messages to a custom expression and use the values accordingly.

Short on time... hope that helps.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 01 Sep 2015 12:33

yes, the STUPIDEST design ever courtesy of Ableton - its solo - cue buttons do NOT behave as toggle buttons as far as midi is concerned - you cant even have bi-directional feedback with them.....simple pads work....but thats all there is to it really....Unless you dive into MaxForLive and Live's API