Q: Ableton Clips + Lemur Buttons

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
vanian roy
Q: Ableton Clips + Lemur Buttons

Post by vanian roy » 11 Feb 2012 20:07

Howdy,

I'm trying to set up a series of buttons that activate various recorded/programmed midi and audio clips in Ableton Lives arrangement view. I've successfully made a button that activates the clip, and a separate hit pad to stop the clip, but as it stands the button which activates the clip still shows as on/active in Lemur after the clip has been stopped.

Is there a means to program the activation button to switch to it's off/inactive state when the clip it's bound to is stopped?

Thanks in advance.

marino_liine
Regular

Re: Q: Ableton Clips + Lemur Buttons

Post by marino_liine » 13 Feb 2012 12:52

Hi vanian roy,

I recommend that you use Pads objects for this task, when you release them they will go back to their previous state. You can also use Custom Buttons in "Pad" mode, it's an option under the "Behavior" section of the Custom Button object.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Marino.

felusch

Post by felusch » 01 May 2012 07:47

I want to see which clip is launced (I labeled them with Text) and a pad toggles the highlight state too?!
-> so I prefered the switches for that but its not working perfect

maybe a feature request for pads:

option 1: hold color: ON

option 2: radio hold color: ON

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 02 May 2012 16:33

Hey,

as I remember there is a way to get clip feedback from Ableton even before max4live and MU can into play:
http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemuruser_mod ... .php?id=32
It highlights the pad, if the clip is played and it also blinks, if the clip is played next (!). The base for that are some scripts...if you look into the project you will get the logic. So it is possible to build custom modules with that. Thats what I did 3 years ago in one of my first videos:
http://youtu.be/r-LFoxMw1Sc
In later setups I made little modules for each track and just copy as much into an interface as I need, see here: http://youtu.be/GCj9sRGgSF8

Just have a look if you can fit the above mentioned original project from JM to your workflow.
I also attach one of my latest Ableton channel modules. The clip triggering is done by the 2 expressions "remote_in" and "remote_out". If you expand the clips, you have also to expand their Midirouting. Or if you use different channels, also change the Midirouting here. Volume, mute and in/out is done by noraml Midirouting. I work with these modular Channels a lot.
Hope that helps

cheers* Mat
Attachments
channel_small_iPad.zip
Clip Control in Ableton
(1.12KiB)Downloaded 415 times
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

felusch

Post by felusch » 02 May 2012 21:10

Hi Mat,

thank you, good to see that it can work ;)

I tried to adapt that to my setup, but had no success yet because I do not understand the script syntax, I need more time to get more into it with trial and error.
For now I changed the pad numbers to 8 plus the stop button, but the blinking and high ligthning is lost and my channel level gets some data from the new clips...

cheers
Bodo

frz

Post by frz » 11 Jun 2012 16:30

Hi here,
Is there someone using this template successfully ?
For me there is a bug : when I launch simultenaously 2 clips on 2 different tracks, on of the 2 clips doesnt launch correctly (blink and stop immediatly).
This doesn't happen each time, but I would say 9/10 times, wich is far too much to use it.
Any help appreciated…

frz

Post by frz » 15 Jun 2012 09:23

Nobody ?

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 27 Jun 2012 17:41

Hey there,

About my previous attached "channel_small_iPad", it is working fine (tested)...
you just have to change some things if expanding pattern slots or using it on different live channels. It is all based on Midi....

use Miditarget0 on the lemur (define in and out for feedback)

If expanding patterns:
- click on green "remote_in" variable
- see its midimapping
- change "controller" from "1 to 6" to a number of controls that fits the number of pads
- e.g. "1 to 10" if you got 10 pads
- (you might see that in my case "1 to 6" doesn´t match to the 5 pads, it were 6 pads before... and higher values doesn´t matter)
- do the same for "remote_out"

If the number of controllers in that variables matches the number of pads everything works fine.
However, while routing in Ableton I always get a double trigger from the last controller. Live will ask you "that control is already used, overwrite?", say no. Also I had to route the patterns from bottom to top... but once routed it works fine!

If using more than 1 of those channel strips:
This example uses Midichannel 1. For the next channel (in Ableton) I suggest to use another Midichannel. Therefore change all channel in the Midimappings of all objects that have a checked box (and are sending at all... the "clips" (pads) and "monitor" are not sending at all).
- remote in and remote out variables
- volume, on and stop which send Midi directly
Volume (ch=1;cc=21), On(ch=1;cc=20) and stop (ch=1;cc=0) can be also routed to other controllers...it is just my setup...so normally ch=5;cc=20 is volume of track 5...

These little channel strips come nice if you just want to control some patterns in Ableton.
The MU framework is much more mighty and flexible, but sometimes it is like "mit einer Kanone auf Spatzen schießen" - you don´t need all the other stuff, just patterns - and in these cases those channelstrips are still often in use in my setups. :D

hope that helps
and sorry for late reply

cheers*mat
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

frz

Post by frz » 02 Jul 2012 21:10

Hi mat,

Thanks very much for the answer and detailed explanations.
Everything works fine for me now, and it is very helpfull as I am not using Mu (I agree "mit einer Kanone auf Spatzen schießen" :D Mu is just not useful for the way I am working, but it is a great template, indeed).

eccecello

Post by eccecello » 18 Jul 2014 10:54

@mat thanks a lot for that!
so useful.

although i still miss having the "recording state" visual feedback, i mean, when a clip is recording, the visual feedback in lemur is the same as if it's playing.