Total newb - RTFM question

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Grovestand
Total newb - RTFM question

Post by Grovestand » 04 Feb 2012 21:24

First of all, hello! Amazing app, I can't wait to explore it more.

So, is there a primer on scripting or just a really basic sample set to help me get some sort of grounding in using the lemur editor? I have read (chunks of) the manual, and I am still having trouble wrapping my head around where to begin. The same thing happened when I took C++, I couldn't understand how to conceive of a program until someone demonstrated it to me...

A link to a youtube video or a section of the manual that I overlooked or an online course or anything would be appreciated.

I might as well list my first template idea so that someone can point me in the right direction in case I am reinventing the wheel.

Basically this will be a midi autoharp for song composition and 1 handed live performance.

There will be 2 pages:

Major and Minor

Each page will have buttons for all the chords that one might want to use in a song of that key:

ie. Major will have 7 rows:
The first row will have I, I-6, I-6add9, I-maj7, I-maj7(9), I-aug, I-7
The second row will have ii, ii-6, ii-7, ii-9, ii-dim, ii-m7(b5), ii-m7(#5) etc....

Then there will be a row of 24 keys below the 7 rows that will play in the scale that you choose (chromatic, whole tone, pentatonic, etc...)

You can shift the key chromatically with a -/+ button (hopefully moving the button and key labels up accordingly as well).

This is the simplest way that I can think of getting all of this on two pages.

So far I cannot even get one button press to output a triad... Perhaps someone could point me to the right page in the right piece of literature to get me started?

Thanks in advance...

Phil999
Regular

Re: Total newb - RTFM question

Post by Phil999 » 05 Feb 2012 00:04

sorry for not being able to answer your questions, but what you describe reminds me of a very good app called GeoSynth (it's a sample player and synth, but it also has network MIDI out for the keyboard). This can be built with Lemur I believe, and sure is worth the effort, just wanted to mention that other app.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Grovestand

Post by Grovestand » 05 Feb 2012 10:28

Thanks Phil.

I checked out that app and it's really not what I'm looking for although it does look like it could make some interesting noises.

I will just have to print out the manual and give it a thorough look through.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 05 Feb 2012 12:05

Hi

Yes certainly read the manual - and check out as many templates from the library as you can . . .
And pull apart to learn from and stick together bits from different patches and alter them to suit your needs

I think you may find some stuff close to what you want to do or at least that will guide you
There are probably several different ways of achieving what you want from a theoretical viewpoint too
You will want to give that some thought too - how you wish to achieve your goal
Whether to program all chords in all keys or program the raw interval relation that can be applied to keys

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 05 Feb 2012 12:21

Grovestand wrote: I checked out that app and it's really not what I'm looking for although it does look like it could make some interesting noises.
yes I misunderstood your post. GeoSynth cannot trigger chords, it' just a special keyboard. :oops:
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

axel_liine
Liine Staff

Post by axel_liine » 06 Feb 2012 09:31

There are some good tutorials on scripting on the old JazzMutant website.
http://jazzmutant.com/workshop_tutorialslist.php

Grovestand

Post by Grovestand » 08 Feb 2012 22:40

Just an update:

I have sucessfully gotten one button to output 3 notes (or 4 notes or 5 notes) of my choosing based on midi note numbers that I input manually.

I am doing this by creating a user defined midi event note press with the midi note numbers of the chord that I want to play.

I will design a template for C Major and a template for A Minor.

I hope to be able to avoid creating multiple templates for all of the keys by creating a transpose button that increases the midi note numbers by one.

I would also like to create a row of octave numbers -2 through +8 or so that will designate what octaves the notes of the chords will be played in.

Example in Major Key:

Press button I

Program checks Octaves active.
Program checks Key active.

Based upon Octave buttons and Key selected program outputs the midi notes of the Major 1 chord of the key selected in all of the octaves that are selected.

Since I'm starting with only a little knowledge, will someone please let me know if writing out all of the midi notes for the chords that I would like to use in the key of C Major and the key of Aminor will be a waste of my time?

Is there a faster way to do it? Will I be unable to apply a mass transposition? I just want to make sure that I am going about this correctly.

Thanks!